Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Sponsor Showcase > Sponsor Showcase > Stainless Steel Bottles and Growlers..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 04:41 PM   #21
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepWoodBrew View Post
Thank you all fellow brewers for your comments, I would like make a correction on the price of this stainless steel growler, I misquoted the pricing. We are going to be releasing this growler on the market for around $28 bucks. I realize the cost is significantly more than others, however I the benefits of this stainless steel growler are endless. Please keep your eye out for.. Deep Wood Brew Products we are coming soon..
While I could see getting one of these, I think it's still going to be too much to expect people to use them [exclusively] for bottling batches. At $280 (for 10), you can get into kegging with a solid (2-3 keg) system.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #22
jma99
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I was given one of the NB steel grower for my birthday.
While spendy, they are off the charts cool!

God's own drunk, and a fearless man.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:50 AM   #23
ThreeBrothersBrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

So I bought 3 of the keg style growlers for christmas presents. They look awesome in person. Great product design and good workmanship. That being said, I haven't been able to use them yet. I don't know what machine oil was used in the manufacture of these but it will not go away. We let them all soak 3 separate times with PBW and hot water overnight. They still have an intense oil smell. We now have them on our keg washer with some more PBW and will report back with the results. Are the any tricks other than what's included in the instructions to get the oil smell away so we can start enjoying them?

Old 01-15-2013, 03:35 AM   #24
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBrothersBrewery View Post
So I bought 3 of the keg style growlers for christmas presents. They look awesome in person. Great product design and good workmanship. That being said, I haven't been able to use them yet. I don't know what machine oil was used in the manufacture of these but it will not go away. We let them all soak 3 separate times with PBW and hot water overnight. They still have an intense oil smell. We now have them on our keg washer with some more PBW and will report back with the results. Are the any tricks other than what's included in the instructions to get the oil smell away so we can start enjoying them?
Try some alcohol, or acetone. Those will solubilize the oil, allowing it to rinse away easier.

Then do another complete wash with hot PBW, rinse with water, and check it out then.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 01-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #25
DeepWoodBrew
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBrothersBrewery View Post
Have you tried using a water, vinegar and baking soda mixture for the initial cleaning. First, fill the container approximately half full of warm water, add a half cup of vinegar and then slowly add two teaspoons of baking soda. Be very careful when mixing the baking soda in the water and vinegar solution. Mixing these substances causes a chemical reaction, which is what makes this solution such an effective cleaning solution. This seems to work very well. After the reaction takes place then fill the rest of the growler with hot water..and you can even top off with some B-Brite ..This is very effective.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:49 PM   #26
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepWoodBrew View Post
Have you tried using a water, vinegar and baking soda mixture for the initial cleaning. First, fill the container approximately half full of warm water, add a half cup of vinegar and then slowly add two teaspoons of baking soda. Be very careful when mixing the baking soda in the water and vinegar solution. Mixing these substances causes a chemical reaction, which is what makes this solution such an effective cleaning solution. This seems to work very well. After the reaction takes place then fill the rest of the growler with hot water..and you can even top off with some B-Brite ..This is very effective.
Shouldn't they come ready to be sanitized and then used?? IMO, going through all that before being able to use them is just BS. You don't need to do that with kegs purchased (especially new ones) or bottles. All the (new and used) kegs I've ever purchased just needed to be sanitized before being filled.

I would get the manufacturer(s) to get the oils off of the vessels before they ship them to you.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-16-2013, 12:34 AM   #27
ThreeBrothersBrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepWoodBrew

Yeah, we tried that first but it didn't seem to really work. One of them seems pretty clean after the steps we took. The other looks like it has something stuck to the bottom inside that just will not go away. I think we will try some alcohol and a paper towel shoved down the hole and see how that works. We a definitely looking forward to putting them to use.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:20 AM   #28
ThreeBrothersBrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

We found a solution that worked great if anyone is still struggling. We mixed up a mild solution of simple green and had it sit overnight. We followed that with a soak in PBW and a hot rinse and they a ready to use. I also wanted to say thanks to Deep Wood. They were responsive and concerned with the issues we had. Great vendor and when the time comes, will be purchasing from them again. Cheer!

Old 04-02-2013, 03:49 PM   #29
donnelj
TheBrauMaestro
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I've been looking around and there really aren't a lot of stainless steel beer growlers out there other than the ultra thin water bottle type. Once Deep Woods Brew gets the issue with the oil residue worked out they should have a hit here. If you haven't seen these yet here's a link to the keg style stainless steel growler. It's been a couple months since the original post so I'm wondering...Has anyone bought one recently and has the oil residue issue been resolved yet?

-John

TheBrauMaestro

Old 04-05-2013, 04:59 AM   #30
ThreeBrothersBrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnelj
I've been looking around and there really aren't a lot of stainless steel beer growlers out there other than the ultra thin water bottle type. Once Deep Woods Brew gets the issue with the oil residue worked out they should have a hit here. If you haven't seen these yet here's a link to the keg style stainless steel growler. It's been a couple months since the original post so I'm wondering...Has anyone bought one recently and has the oil residue issue been resolved yet?

-John
We haven't bought any new ones lately but couldn't be happier with the ones we have now. After bringing up he issue I got a response from Deep Woods that they had updated there cleaning process to address the issue. I wouldn't hesitate buying from them again.

Quick Reply