Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Sponsor Showcase > Sponsor Showcase > Stainless Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #291
dhempy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessBrewing View Post
Well a 50 mesh was used this weekend with great straining results but the boil is more mild than preferred. I think the 40 mesh might be the best route.
Any progress on the 40 mesh test?

Dan

Coach: What's new, Norm?
Norm: I need something to hold me over until my second beer.
Coach: How about a first beer?
Norm: That'll work.
Cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #292
greenbirds
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhempy View Post
Any progress on the 40 mesh test?

Dan
Second.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:47 PM   #293
Dolomieu
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 103

Im also interested in how the 40 mesh performs.

Draft beer, Not me!!! - Belching Penguin

Old 11-03-2012, 05:21 AM   #294
StainlessBrewing
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 135

Brewing for the first time in 6 months this weekend but it's going to be less than 2oz of hops being used.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #295
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 126

Eagerly awaiting your results with the #40 vs #50 meshes. I'm super psyched for the 8" diameter model, as I have two 60qt boil kettles that both measure 18 1/2" h and I don't use any sort of bottom-of-the-kettle screening, I rely only on my nylon hop bags right now.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 11-05-2012, 04:09 PM   #296
revco
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts

I ordered up Zach's 40 mesh unit and was able to test it out yesterday. Overall, I was very impressed with the whole setup and it's a welcome addition to my setup. Unfortunately, I was only able to get one of the two types of hops I used in pellet form, so I had a mix of pellet and whole leaf (about 1/2 ounce) in the mix.

As for the results, I had a little bit of seepage of the pellets into the brew kettle...but probably no more than a 1/8 oz, and that's probably a bit high. (Total pellet schedule was 2 ounces.) It was noticeable seepage, but not enough to bother me in the slightest. It kept all of my whole leaf contained, which was to be expected. I had zero problems with a vigorous and gentle boils. With my dip tube, I'm fairly confident zero hops got into the the kettle, but I won't know for sure until I'm able to get a good look at the trub in about 3 weeks.

In my opinion, the 40 mesh is great and is a good trade off between keeping your hops enclosed and easy cleanup. The 50 mesh might keep a little more hops in the unit, but cleanup might be a little tougher due to the really fine mesh. Had I to do it over again, I might have gone for the 50 mesh...but am happy with the 40.

Here's some pics of the 40 mesh.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #297
jtejedor
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I can see everyone wanting to hold all the sludge back but I think the free flow contributes a lot to getting about the same hop utilization as just throwing the hops into the brew kettle. The batch I took pictures of, the zombie dust clone came out fantastic. Great hop aroma and flavor. The batches where I was jamming the bags full seemed to be lacking in flavor a bit, I would get great aroma for a couple of weeks but that was probably mostly from dry hopping with a lot of hops. Also the aroma and flavor seemed to fade after just a couple of weeks. So far this batch has a nice lasting hop aroma and flavor. Also I just brewed a blegian dark strong with 6.5 oz of hops and the mesh held back I would say like 80% of the hops. After reading a tip on the forum here I let everything settle for an hour after cooling. The first fermenter always has really clear wort but the second fermenter gets all the sludge so I decided to tweak out on it and run the wort going to the second fermenter through a funnel with a strainer on it. Honestly not worth it! In the end there was just a tiny bit of hops that would have gone into the fermenter and most of the crud had settled nicely at the bottom of the brew kettle. Overall loving this thing, can't wait to make my big ol IIPAs!

Old 11-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #298
kcbeersnob
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessBrewing View Post
I forgot to share that the 14" wasn't big enough and too fine for whole hops. We bumped it up to a 24" with a #8 mesh with great results!
Thinking about ordering a hop basket, but am wondering what the issue was when using whole hops and the size of the mesh.

Anyone have issues using whole hops in the basket? I can't imagine how the basket wouldn't be superior to using a paint strainer bag.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #299
revco
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts

You can see my test above, where about an ounce of whole hops was used. It was perfect. In my opinion, this unit is great for pellet hops and absolutely perfect for whole hops. I think, if I'm not mistaken, this comment you mention was for a big system setup where probably pounds of hops were in use.

Zach offers different size units. I went with the 6" model, but he also offers an 8" model. If you're doing massive IPA's in 5 gallon batches, the 8" might be beneficial for coverage reasons. Overall, though, I think the 6" would be best for most people.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:56 AM   #300
Dolomieu

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 103

Thanks for sharing guys

Draft beer, Not me!!! - Belching Penguin

Quick Reply