Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Sponsor Showcase > Sponsor Showcase > Stainless Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2012, 06:15 PM   #281
greenbirds
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrenarzt View Post
A finer mesh doesn't allow liquid to flow through it as easily due to surface tension at the points the boil interacts with (which are many on a mesh of that size and porosity). Therefore a boil will be attenuated by a finer mesh. It will do a better job at holding in the hop trub but at the cost of less boil penetration. You do want a vigorous boil.
Definitely true, need a vigorous boil.

But if the rest of the kettle is boiling vigorously around the strainer, I'm not sure having a slower boil within the strainer is a major issue. Even with the fine mesh, I imagine liquid is still moving fairly freely back and forth across the mesh. Which means as soon as you drop some pellets in, they disintegrate and release their hop oils, which mixed with the wort will quickly flow across the mesh

I've always wondered what the difference in bittering would be if I left my bittering addition hop bag in the boil for the whole 60 mins, vs putting it in at 60 and removing it with 55 to go. My guess is bitterness would be about the same... Once the oils are released, you're left with just some vegetal matter; the important components have already been released into the wort to undergo isomerization.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #282
dhempy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Well, I did have to do some bending ... you had the angles right but the geometry coming from across the coils versus from the same side was different. I had just enough material to make it work. I only bring this up so that you're aware for the next one that comes your way. Will let you know after tomorrow's test.

Dan

Coach: What's new, Norm?
Norm: I need something to hold me over until my second beer.
Coach: How about a first beer?
Norm: That'll work.
Cheers

Old 10-17-2012, 05:34 PM   #283
StainlessBrewing
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 135

I also would like to remind others that I can do other baskets if you're on a budget. This is a picture of a 6-5/8" x 18" with unfinished rings that just sits in the keggle. No need to hang it unless you have a heating element or diptube in the way. This is a cheaper alternative that only runs $45.00 and a fine looking piece of equipment the way it is. Other hanging options beside the 3 leg sleeve design will be coming soon. If you're doing smaller batches and need something in the 4-1/2"OD x 12" you're looking at about $35.00. Make sure to keep me in mind for any of your stainless needs.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:23 PM   #284
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessBrewing View Post
I also would like to remind others that I can do other baskets if you're on a budget. This is a picture of a 6-5/8" x 18" with unfinished rings that just sits in the keggle. No need to hang it unless you have a heating element or diptube in the way. This is a cheaper alternative that only runs $45.00 and a fine looking piece of equipment the way it is. Other hanging options beside the 3 leg sleeve design will be coming soon. If you're doing smaller batches and need something in the 4-1/2"OD x 12" you're looking at about $35.00. Make sure to keep me in mind for any of your stainless needs.

nice!

Old 10-18-2012, 01:21 AM   #285
DakotaRules
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessBrewing View Post

I really like this option, but where on your website is the 6-5/8" listed on your website for $45?

Old 10-18-2012, 03:22 AM   #286
StainlessBrewing
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaRules

I really like this option, but where on your website is the 6-5/8" listed on your website for $45?
I will list them here shortly.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:02 AM   #287
Gabba
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Looks good and sweet.

I'll probably be picking one of these up when I get my all grain set up together.

Also, any plans to add some hooks so it can hang onto the edge of the kettle? I'm just worried about this falling over in a full boil

Old 10-21-2012, 04:37 AM   #288
dhempy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhempy View Post
Will let you know after tomorrow's test.

Dan
The new coils made a big improvement in heating/cooling efficiency ... probably in large part due to the increased flow rate stepping up to 0.500" from .300" (or so)

I used my spider with the 30 mesh but I cheated and used hop bags too. Surprisingly, the spider caught some hop material that escaped the bags. But my wort came out pretty clear. I still want to see the 40 mesh results before I pull the trigger on new mesh for my spider.

Dan

Coach: What's new, Norm?
Norm: I need something to hold me over until my second beer.
Coach: How about a first beer?
Norm: That'll work.
Cheers

Old 10-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #289
tjferris
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabba View Post
Looks good and sweet.

I'll probably be picking one of these up when I get my all grain set up together.

Also, any plans to add some hooks so it can hang onto the edge of the kettle? I'm just worried about this falling over in a full boil
You mean like this one? http://www.stainlessbrewing.com/Hop-Strainer-Kit_p_123.html

Old 10-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #290
mors
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 96

So I see for the basket you can choose a finer mesh. This is great. Any chance 8 inch size will be available as an option soon?

Quick Reply