New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Sponsor Showcase > Sponsor Showcase > Stainless Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #271
StainlessBrewing
Vendor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I forgot to share that the 14" wasn't big enough and too fine for whole hops. We bumped it up to a 24" with a #8 mesh with great results!

Dolomieu Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #272
StainlessBrewing
Vendor

Recipes 

This setup at a smaller scale will work great for someone doing BIAB and interested in a stainless basket. It has an internal frame so it would definitely be able to handle the weight.

I also just recieved the #50 stainless mesh for some test runs to see how it does compared to the 30 per customers request. I've seen some other posts on people going even finer but I just don't see getting the maximum utilization you can with your hops. If your basket contains green wort while the rest is not I just don't see how you're getting maximum results you could get just to reduce a little extra hop sludge?? That's why people are looking for these baskets to get better utilization and not sticking with bags right? I'll post some more pictures of the larger baskets on the site soon.

I'm pretty much caught back up after the last two crazy months so keep your eyes peeled for a special on immersion chillers coming very soon.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #273
greenbirds
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessBrewing View Post
This setup at a smaller scale will work great for someone doing BIAB and interested in a stainless basket. It has an internal frame so it would definitely be able to handle the weight.

I also just recieved the #50 stainless mesh for some test runs to see how it does compared to the 30 per customers request. I've seen some other posts on people going even finer but I just don't see getting the maximum utilization you can with your hops. If your basket contains green wort while the rest is not I just don't see how you're getting maximum results you could get just to reduce a little extra hop sludge?? That's why people are looking for these baskets to get better utilization and not sticking with bags right? I'll post some more pictures of the larger baskets on the site soon.

I'm pretty much caught back up after the last two crazy months so keep your eyes peeled for a special on immersion chillers coming very soon.
Interested to see the results of the 50 mesh. I run a plate chiller and am interested in keeping out as much hop matter as possible, but I understand there is a balance between minimal hop particles escaping and wort flowing freely through the mesh.

And yes, I think people want better utilization and also a more "hard plumbed" solution to managing pellets. Nylon bags are annoying to mount, harder to clean, and can rip/develop holes. Muslin bags stretch out and let too much matter escape -- plus, their cost adds up.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #274
mors
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 72

my number 1 reason for wanting one of these... cleaning the nylon bag is the worst part of my brew day.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:39 PM   #275
StainlessBrewing
Vendor

Recipes 

Well a 50 mesh was used this weekend with great straining results but the boil is more mild than preferred. I think the 40 mesh might be the best route.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:13 PM   #276
mors
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessBrewing View Post
Well a 50 mesh was used this weekend with great straining results but the boil is more mild than preferred. I think the 40 mesh might be the best route.
Is that the 50 mesh? That looks like what I would want right there.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:18 PM   #277
Smashing
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessBrewing
Well a 50 mesh was used this weekend with great straining results but the boil is more mild than preferred.
How do you mean?

Old 10-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #278
Irrenarzt
HNIC
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 87

A finer mesh doesn't allow liquid to flow through it as easily due to surface tension at the points the boil interacts with (which are many on a mesh of that size and porosity). Therefore a boil will be attenuated by a finer mesh. It will do a better job at holding in the hop trub but at the cost of less boil penetration. You do want a vigorous boil.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:49 PM   #279
dhempy
Recipes 

Zach:

Looking forward to seeing the 40 mesh results ... then I'll decide. The 50 looks good though. I'll keep my 30 mesh for whole leaf hops and then use whatever the other is for pellets. BTW, I'll be trying out the new HERMS coil you made for me tomorrow .. I welded the tri-clover fittings on over the weekend!

Dan

Coach: What's new, Norm?
Norm: I need something to hold me over until my second beer.
Coach: How about a first beer?
Norm: That'll work.
Cheers

Old 10-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #280
StainlessBrewing
Vendor

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrenarzt View Post
A finer mesh doesn't allow liquid to flow through it as easily due to surface tension at the points the boil interacts with (which are many on a mesh of that size and porosity). Therefore a boil will be attenuated by a finer mesh. It will do a better job at holding in the hop trub but at the cost of less boil penetration. You do want a vigorous boil.
Bingo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhempy View Post
Zach:

Looking forward to seeing the 40 mesh results ... then I'll decide. The 50 looks good though. I'll keep my 30 mesh for whole leaf hops and then use whatever the other is for pellets. BTW, I'll be trying out the new HERMS coil you made for me tomorrow .. I welded the tri-clover fittings on over the weekend!

Dan
Sounds good. I have some extra 50 in case you decide to go that route. I'll be ordering 40 today. I'm glad the coil is going to work for you because that was a funky one!

Quick Reply