Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Sponsor Showcase > Sponsor Showcase > Stackable 2.5 Gallon Kegs, Pre-Order for $69.99, AIH

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2013, 12:36 AM   #31
tagz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I really want a couple of these.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2013, 02:02 AM   #32
505-Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default I feel the same way

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagz View Post
I really want a couple of these.
Me too so I bought two couples of these. Should be easy enough to make a spacer out of Delrin or some plastic. Not sure how often i need them stacked to be serving. Now i gotta figure out to back pack it or make a rack so I can cycle to the parties

Bump to the top for excellent customer service from AIH. Looking forward to trying these kegs out!

Old 10-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #33
da99et
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default welding seam

I just got one of the 2.5er's for my b-day. It's pretty nice! My only concern is that the seam that goes around the bottom on the inside is pretty wide and has a big black mark on it. Anyone else having a weird looking seam on the inside? I'll try to get a pic up when I get home.

Thanks!

Old 10-08-2013, 10:16 PM   #34
govner1
Raconteur
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by da99et
I just got one of the 2.5er's for my b-day. It's pretty nice! My only concern is that the seam that goes around the bottom on the inside is pretty wide and has a big black mark on it. Anyone else having a weird looking seam on the inside? I'll try to get a pic up when I get home. Thanks!
Are these made in China? Are the welds sanitary? They are NOT NSF certified per earlier posts by AIH.
I'd be skeptical at best.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:34 AM   #35
da99et
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by govner1 View Post
Are these made in China? Are the welds sanitary? They are NOT NSF certified per earlier posts by AIH.
I'd be skeptical at best.
Concerning the materials used for these puppies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntarioBeerKegs View Post
There are different Chinese kegs on the market. The ones AIH and OBK sell are 304 SS and use standard parts.

The other model does not use standard parts. I have no idea what the material composition is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_horno View Post
http://mightynest.com/blog/stainless...4-188-and-1810

304 grade stainless steel is also comprised of no more than 0.8% carbon and at least 50% iron. The chromium binds oxygen to the surface of the product to protect the iron from oxidation (rust). Nickel also enhances the corrosion resistance of stainless steel. Therefore, the higher the nickel content, the more resistant the stainless steel is to corrosion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickypad View Post
Well according to this and what Ibrew posted these kegs are 18/8 or 304 grade. Good to know since I purchased two recently. I love that they can stack in my keezer with the fittings on.
All these quotes are cross posts from this thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/3-ga...65/index2.html

Also, AIH noted concerns about materials and posted this test report.. not by NSF, however:
http://www.homebrewing.org/assets/im...tal%20test.pdf

So those numbers don't really mean anything to me because I don't know enough about that shizzo.

Anyway, I looked closer at my particular keg when I got back. Put a little water in there, didn't leak. Then I scrubbed it up a little bit and the black seems to be coming off. I'm guessing it's left over gunk from manufacturing. There is, however, a machine scratch on the opposite side of the interior which worries me a bit. I'm less concerned with the materials and more concerned about wild bacteria finding a nice little home in my keg to ruin all my beer. Can't upload pics it seems, prob my free account..

I only plan to use this thing for cask conditioning though and I think perhaps I'm having a case of ye olde homebrewer's paranoia. I'm gonna clean it up some more and sanitize the pants off it and give it a go. Hope all this info is helpful. Will update with results. From all the other reviews I've seen, not many people have had issues with this keg, so the glass appears to be half full right now!

Here's one last thread with lots of reviews: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/2-5-gallon-keg-336812/

Old 10-09-2013, 02:27 PM   #36
govner1
Raconteur
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 8

It's curious that AIH accepted an entire shipment (container) that did not meet their previously advertised specs as to stackability w/ connections in place. That would seem to be a big advantage that has gone away. Merely stacking for storage- big whoop!

Old 10-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #37
MichaelBrock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 30

OldAleJay,

You stated earlier in this thread that the 3 gallon kegs were stackable with the connectors on. But the Q & A for this product on your site says "The three gallon kegs are not stack-able with the fittings on them. " Is the current batch of 3 gallon kegs not stackable?

Old 10-10-2013, 12:40 AM   #38
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
It's curious that AIH accepted an entire shipment (container) that did not meet their previously advertised specs as to stackability w/ connections in place. That would seem to be a big advantage that has gone away. Merely stacking for storage- big whoop!
Some time you gotta roll with the punches. I have no doubt they had to front a significant amount of cash, and because of the lead time they just decided to roll with it. They are still sellable...why eat the *significant* cost of sending them back?

I'm glad to see that the HB suppliers are listening to their customers.....the demand for cornies has shot up in the past few years, and the prices reflect this!

Old 10-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #39
da99et
Recipes 

Quote:
It is a bit of a bummer that they aren't stackable with the connecters on. I believe there was some confusion with that as well. You may see in one of the other threads I posted that about a year or more ago they started with the 'stackable for storage only' type; later on, they got the 'stackable with connecters on' type and now they appear to be back to the storage only kind.

Luckily, I won't really require the stacking for my purposes, but it would've been an added bonus to have in case. I may wait and see if they come back with the taller handles for connecter stacking before ordering any more of them. Also, I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to macgyver something so that the one I have stacks with connecters on. Whatever, gonna brew some chocolate mint stout this weekend and get it ready to try out in the keg!

Old 10-11-2013, 12:06 AM   #40
Yesfan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 213

^^^

According to a reply I got from OldAleJay a couple of months ago in this thread, it may be around next summer before kegs with the taller handles are available. That's fine by me as I like the ability to stack with the disconnects on, so I don't minding waiting for the replacement kegs. The stacked kegs are not much taller than a standard 5 gallon corny.

"There is no right way to brew. The journey to finding out what works best for you is 99% of the hobby. Ethanol is the other 1%" - Bobby M

da99et Likes This 

Quick Reply