Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Sponsor Showcase > Sponsor Showcase > "put your beer where the sun doesn't shine"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 06:29 PM   #61
DeepWoodBrew
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahler View Post
Very interesting. did the cavern lose much heat during the mash?
It seemed to really hold the temp quite well. Also, while boiling there was less evaporation because the water molecules would accumulate on the neck of the Cavern and then run back down into the wort.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 12:31 AM   #62
CDGoin
Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 127

So what ya think of this as a way to display and use your 2L mini-keg growler ?

Old 01-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #63
ThatGeekGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDGoin View Post
Just got my Cavern and 2L Growler..

The Cavern is pretty cool.. will be cleaning tonight and prepping it as my secondary for lagering.

The growler (I got the 2L mini-mini-keg) is really neat.. a tad smaller than I thought it would be.. Some how, like magic, it seems to fill to 2L and use less space than a 2L PET bottle. Its really really neat. Going to work on a pump and faucet for it.. Should be pretty cool little thing to take to the monthly home brew meetings. May have to get more to condition in.. havent decided on that yet.

Think it will be decided on more by the pocket book than want.. Because I WANT to get the other 9 I would need

Both were definitely well made and worth the cost.
Keep us updated on the pump and faucet idea, I like the sound of that.

Primary 1: Lonely
Primary 2: Lonely
Secondary 1: Orange Mead (Made Jan. 2013)
On Tap #1: Stormy Monday IIPA
On Tap #2: Mild Thing English Brown
On Deck: Thinking....

Old 01-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #64
CDGoin
Recipes 

Already done..

I think it will be neat to dispense my brews at the monthly brew meetings in.

This one version required a trip to the machine shop to thread the 3/4" MIP elbow to fit the 1-1/8"-18 thread of the faucet, BTW did you know NO ONE MAKES ANYTHING that fits a Beer Faucet thread other than few pieces you can find at Keg stores..? NOTHING... (#@$@ 1-1/8"-18 beer faucet threads.. $#$%#$#$ !!!) .. suffice it to say machine shops charge by the hour.. so I had them drill and thread the cap for me as well. I could have done that part.. but since it was there and they were charging me a full hour. BTW still waiting for a few pieces an 1/4" supply tube, and an o-ring to get it to work. Right now it does create and hold pressure, so there is no doubt it will work once the supply tube is inserted and the seal fashioned. So I have no doubt beer will come out of it in a day or two.

I will do a break down of the components I can this weekend sometime.

Anyway as I mentioned the one I did was a bit expensive, as I used a chrome metal pump and chrome beer faucet (Close to $50 or so for those two components with shipping), the brass fittings were close to $40, and then there was the aforementioned machine work. Lets suffice it to say.. the cool pump project took some funds from my soon to be All-Grain setup I haven't made yet. But it is really cool..

So that said, price could be drastically cut if you used a barb and tube with picnic faucet and plastic pump (That should be under $20 for those two and avoid the machine shop), and used all off the shelf components from Home Depot.

I plan on doing a second one to show how it was built, if anyone wants to buy it from me for the cost of the parts.

Thanks to Deep Woods Brew Products for shipping me a few extra tops to play with.

One more thing should mention.. it's not quite done yet. I am looking to add a sleeve or something to bottom to get better support of it.. Right now it is held in by 3 threads in the stainless steel top. I think if I add a sleeve over the smaller lower tube, it will better and that Tee could be tightened to have the tube support the bottom of the tee from the top of the cap, as opposed to just the threads in the cap.

DeepWoodBrew Likes This 
Old 01-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #65
CDGoin
Recipes 

OH and the Cavern is currently in use as my lagering secondary.. fit quite well in my old school lagering fridge.

Even left room up top for the top shelf so I have room to still store beer in the fridge

DeepWoodBrew Likes This 
Old 01-25-2013, 03:01 AM   #66
CDGoin
Recipes 

I figured I would mention that it worked really nice, once I had the tube and gaskets.

There is a small leak on the beer faucet.. but since I highly doubt anyone will go that route, its not a problem :P

(Edit: with a small bung for a gallon jug (I think) Trimmed up and with a different gasket.. I have the system under pressure with no leaks.)

So there you go a 5-6 Beer keg.. a Six pack keg if you will.

I personally call it my Gulliver Keg

DeepWoodBrew Likes This 
Old 01-25-2013, 03:59 AM   #67
mors
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Looks pretty cool. It's cool to see innovative things done with these types of things.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:31 PM   #68
CDGoin
Recipes 

Thanks, the Mini-Mini-Keg dispenses about 8 - 8 oz cups The pump actually almost weighs as much as the full keg.

I was trying it out a lot last night.. So lets suffice it to say the recollection of that last post is a bit hazy.

The simpler version (Plastic pump and picnic faucet) I have a feeling will work better than this one.. and be cheaper.

DeepWoodBrew Likes This 
Old 03-07-2013, 03:43 AM   #69
NWMushroom
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Would it be possible to wrap a heat belt around the Carboy?

What is the actual volume capacity of the 5 gallon and 7 gallon Carboy?

What is the valve connection size for the port I see in the pictures on the front of the Carboy? 1/2"?

I'm really interested in the possibility of boiling, chilling and fermenting in the same pot. Maybe even BIAB mashing, too.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #70
DeepWoodBrew
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWMushroom View Post
Would it be possible to wrap a heat belt around the Carboy?

What is the actual volume capacity of the 5 gallon and 7 gallon Carboy?

What is the valve connection size for the port I see in the pictures on the front of the Carboy? 1/2"?

I'm really interested in the possibility of boiling, chilling and fermenting in the same pot. Maybe even BIAB mashing, too.
Thank you for the inquiry, and we are happy to answer your questions..

We do not see a problem with wraping a heat belt on the Cavern.

The actual capacity of the 5 gallon Cavern is 5.5 gallons and the 7 gallon Cavern is 7 gallons.

Yes the valve connection is 1/2" port..

The Cavern isn't just one of the safest ways to ferment your beer. This stainless steel fermenter can take you from the boiling stage all the way through to the fermenting stage. We tested the Cavern on electric burners all the way up to…30,000 btu gas burners, and the results where fantastic!!! There was absolutely no scorching of the wort at all. We also found there is less evaporation due to the shape and opening size of the Cavern. Yes, we have put our Cavern to the test and here are some pictures.
dsc00729.jpg   dsc00742.jpg   dsc00756.jpg  

Quick Reply