Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Sponsor Showcase > Sponsor Showcase > "put your beer where the sun doesn't shine"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #51
CDGoin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Thanks.. I will probably be getting one.

That sounds like it may work the way I brew. I can see how it wouldnt work under propane or an coil electric stove..

That said, my stove is an induction stove.. and its almost as easy to adjust the heat as gas, but with the glass top, the thin bottom may not be a problem. Also when I go to a full boil, I do it slow and gradual, I didn't get up to full boil until after all my ingredients were blended well.. so it couldn't hurt to try it once

Just wanted to make sure the bottom didn't have a special coating or something that would degenerate in the heat. If I ruin a batch that's one thing.. to ruin the Cavern is another issue altogether.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #52
triangulum33
Whenever it feels right!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

CD, you can get a good dedicated boil pot for a third of the cost of one of nice DW fermenters.

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Meine Keezer

Old 01-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #53
CDGoin
Recipes 

Missing the point.. The point is GUARANTEED sanitation. Less pots, less mess and overall simpler brewing.

Even the regular 8 Gallon Brew pot I was thinking of getting, I was thinking of modifying the top to both boil and ferment out of one container. Less mess, and guaranteed that the wort stays sanitized.

Why transfer from one pot to another if you don't need too ?

With one pot you can simply open a spout to get rid of most the junk left over from boiling.

Close the valve, put a top on it and start fermenting..?

Of course, this would work better with extract brewers than All-Grain. Also I'm 6'2 and 240lb so lifting a 5-10 gallon pot full of water and grain, etc.. isn't terribly difficult for me. But can see where others may have an issue

Old 01-07-2013, 06:15 PM   #54
mors
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 106

I've fermented in a pot before. It works fine. Made a really nice english mild this way. The issue is all the trub and break material is still in the pot... some sort of 'dump' would be best if you were going to go this route...though in the case of my mild it didn't have an effect on flavor..though it could have possibly had an effect on shelf life... Not sure I didn't let it sit around long

But yeah.. pot plus regular lid is all you need for primary...no need to modify the lid...

Old 01-07-2013, 06:58 PM   #55
CDGoin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mors View Post
I've fermented in a pot before. It works fine. Made a really nice english mild this way. The issue is all the trub and break material is still in the pot... some sort of 'dump' would be best if you were going to go this route...though in the case of my mild it didn't have an effect on flavor..though it could have possibly had an effect on shelf life... Not sure I didn't let it sit around long

But yeah.. pot plus regular lid is all you need for primary...no need to modify the lid...
Well if you use a brew pot with a valve on the bottom, you could drain a bit of the trub from it that way..

I was also thinking you could brew with a colander with cheese cloth and when ready just pull it out.. and voila.. Trub gone

As for lid, thinking of something would be needed to hold it down for pressure and an opening for the vent.
DeepWoodBrew Likes This 
Old 01-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #56
mors
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 106

yeah you could use the valve... but you would need to prop it up with something to let the trub 'settle' some by it first...

Na nothing needed to hold down the lid...unless you're using a really small pot and fill it up to the top. Then maybe the krausen could push it off...otherwise the co2 will escape still from under the lid because it's not air tight... at least none of my kettle lids are...they are just metal sitting on top of metal. This is all you need...

As for the metal being thin... those cheaper Polarware pots are super thin... and I use one on my stove all the time for inside brewing... Works great...actually it works better than smaller pots I have because it's so thin... I can actually boil 6.5 gallons of wort in it. If you really wanted to do this with ther fermenter I don't see any downside apart from the trub issue...

Old 01-14-2013, 09:09 PM   #57
DeepWoodBrew
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDGoin View Post
Well if you use a brew pot with a valve on the bottom, you could drain a bit of the trub from it that way..

I was also thinking you could brew with a colander with cheese cloth and when ready just pull it out.. and voila.. Trub gone

As for lid, thinking of something would be needed to hold it down for pressure and an opening for the vent.
Thanks everyone for all of your thoughts and comments. The "Cavern" was designed as a fermenting vessel. However, last week we put one of our Caverns the electric burner with 6 gallons of water aprox. 80 degrees. Placed the burner on high and within aprox. 15-20 min. the water was a to a rolling boil. We then placed a grain sack filled with 9 lbs. of crushed grain into the Cavern and performed an BIAB style beer.. After soaking/mashing we lifted the brain bag out and brought the wort up to a vigorously rolling boil. We added the hops and boiled the wort for 60 minutes. We then transferred the 200 degree wort through a plate chiller and into another sanitized Cavern, and pitched the yeast. The bottom of the Cavern had no scorching or burning at all. The Cavern performed perfectly. We removed the plastic nylon ring on the bottom of the Cavern knowing this could melt form the heat. This was the only modification to the Cavern, that we made. This is just another way the Cavern could be used.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:30 PM   #58
Kahler
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Very interesting. did the cavern lose much heat during the mash?

Old 01-14-2013, 09:37 PM   #59
CDGoin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepWoodBrew View Post
Thanks everyone for all of your thoughts and comments. The "Cavern" was designed as a fermenting vessel. However, last week we put one of our Caverns the electric burner with 6 gallons of water aprox. 80 degrees. Placed the burner on high and within aprox. 15-20 min. the water was a to a rolling boil. We then placed a grain sack filled with 9 lbs. of crushed grain into the Cavern and performed an BIAB style beer.. After soaking/mashing we lifted the brain bag out and brought the wort up to a vigorously rolling boil. We added the hops and boiled the wort for 60 minutes. We then transferred the 200 degree wort through a plate chiller and into another sanitized Cavern, and pitched the yeast. The bottom of the Cavern had no scorching or burning at all. The Cavern performed perfectly. We removed the plastic nylon ring on the bottom of the Cavern knowing this could melt form the heat. This was the only modification to the Cavern, that we made. This is just another way the Cavern could be used.
I will try that when my Cavern arrives

I am thinking I could cap it so its nice and sanitary.. and put it in the lager fridge for the night. come back and pitch the yeast

NO concern over infection or anything.. I'm REALLY liking this idea.

But since I was getting this to be my secondary.. I may have to order a second one.
DeepWoodBrew Likes This 
Old 01-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #60
CDGoin
Recipes 

Just got my Cavern and 2L Growler..

The Cavern is pretty cool.. will be cleaning tonight and prepping it as my secondary for lagering.

The growler (I got the 2L mini-mini-keg) is really neat.. a tad smaller than I thought it would be.. Some how, like magic, it seems to fill to 2L and use less space than a 2L PET bottle. Its really really neat. Going to work on a pump and faucet for it.. Should be pretty cool little thing to take to the monthly home brew meetings. May have to get more to condition in.. havent decided on that yet.

Think it will be decided on more by the pocket book than want.. Because I WANT to get the other 9 I would need

Both were definitely well made and worth the cost.

DeepWoodBrew Likes This 

Quick Reply