Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Sponsor Showcase > Sponsor Showcase > "put your beer where the sun doesn't shine"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #41
DeepWoodBrew
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahler View Post
Received two of the keg shaped growlers last week- these little guys are awesome! They hold 2l right up to the neck and seem to be constructed very well. I will be using them this week to bottle- I mean keg - a winter ale.
Even though these are a bit more expensive than glass growlers I like that I can transport these without having to worry about them breaking. The ONLY thing i wpuld cjange is that they wont stack properly when the lid is on. Deep Woods also through in extra o-rings. Shipping was fast, I ordered on Sunday, got confirmation and shipping info on Monday and had them in my hands Wednesday.
Nice job Deep Woods, I look forward to buying more.

Thank you for the quick review. We are glad to hear you are very pleased with the Keg Style Growlers..We take pride in our customers and delivering quality products to home brewers like ourselves! Cheers

Deep Wood Brew Products..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 10:14 PM   #42
zazbnf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Got my keg style growler and a dozen 12oz bottles this evening. Very pleased with the quality of both products. The keg growler is just awesome, and those bottles should hold up for a long time. They are much heavier than I had expected.

DeepWoodBrew Likes This 
Old 12-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #43
DeepWoodBrew
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazbnf View Post
Got my keg style growler and a dozen 12oz bottles this evening. Very pleased with the quality of both products. The keg growler is just awesome, and those bottles should hold up for a long time. They are much heavier than I had expected.
Thank you for your response, and we are glad to hear you are very satisfied with our products. We take pride in our product line up.. WE are home brewers wanting to make a difference for other home brewers, like us. Cheers!!!

Old 12-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #44
mors
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 99

One of the stainless carboys was donated to the Iron Brewer event here in MI last night. I had a chance to look it over. The seams are really nicely done on it. I would personally want tri-clamp fittings for the bottom valve and for the 'hole' in the lid for the price. Other than that it's a very solid piece of equipment.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:03 AM   #45
triangulum33
Whenever it feels right!

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

These are un-insulated, right?
Wondering how they would do transporting beer for an hour or two.

A friend got the keg/growler for Christmas and it looked pretty cool. Kinda tricky to pour from, but definitely a discussion piece.

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Meine Keezer

Old 01-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #46
DeepWoodBrew
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by triangulum33 View Post
These are un-insulated, right?
Wondering how they would do transporting beer for an hour or two.

A friend got the keg/growler for Christmas and it looked pretty cool. Kinda tricky to pour from, but definitely a discussion piece.
Thanks for your inquiry, we find the growlers will keep our beer for several hours out of the fridge, once chilled..

Old 01-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #47
CDGoin
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 127

I really like these..

Is there any reason the carboys couldn't be used to boil the wort in directly?

What about the with the valve ? Is the valve hand heat resistant ?

That way you almost guarantee no issues with sanitation, and a lot less mess.

I can envision doing extration brewing with it. Just boil the wort in the carboy, cool it, top it off, add yeast, and cap.. then when its ready, bottle and clean up..

Old 01-06-2013, 12:36 AM   #48
stompbox
Served up in the backyard

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDGoin View Post
I really like these..

Is there any reason the carboys couldn't be used to boil the wort in directly?

What about the with the valve ? Is the valve hand heat resistant ?

That way you almost guarantee no issues with sanitation, and a lot less mess.

I can envision doing extration brewing with it. Just boil the wort in the carboy, cool it, top it off, add yeast, and cap.. then when its ready, bottle and clean up..
I'd hate to try and pour extract in there.. how would you stir it to prevent scorching? And further how are you going to monitor and control boil overs? I don't think it is a good use for the product. Ymmv

Old 01-06-2013, 02:25 AM   #49
CDGoin
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 127

OK at least with my kit it was 2.5 gallons and then topped with 2.5 gallons.

So PLENTY of room.. also I never got my boil over a low gradual boil.. I kept it JUST on the cusp of a rolling boil. Part of the problem was I was literally to the edge of the pot (Port was a bit small..), I even had to take a little out to get everything in. Still never had a problem with boiling over.

Key though is.. COULD you use it that way..? Is there anything (like plastic, or a soft bottom) that would keep it from being on a stove top..?

Looks like the top is large enough for your hand and forearm (to clean) so a spoon would work fine on a 5 gallon brew.

DeepWoodBrew Likes This 
Old 01-07-2013, 11:07 AM   #50
Kahler
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I picked up the 7gal Cavern- and love it by the way, more on that later. Would it be possible to boil in it? Possible, yes. Logical, no. Where there are no bad seams, no plastic, plenty of room for ingredients and boiling, the bottom is thin. The likely hood of scorching makes it not with trying.
Now I don't see a problem with attempting to use the cavern as mash tun- you can easily put a valve and braid on it, you would just have to wrap it with a couple blankets or be in a very warm environment because again, it's thin walled.

What I like about it: I can do full 6gal batches, I can have an airlock on it or a blow off tube, I can put a valve (and a dip tube) and drain off excess trub and yeast if I want to, it's ridiculously easy to clean, it's light- weighs 7lbs or so, I don't have to bother with wrapping a towel or shirt around it to keep light pita d most importantly, my wife likes the way it looks in the kitchen way better than a Carboy wrapped in an old t-shirt.

Also, CDGoin, you want to make sure you brim your wot to a full rolling boil. That's how you get rid of a lot of "off flavor" contributors like DMS. Just sayin.

Quick Reply