Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Sponsor Showcase > Sponsor Showcase > New Product! Cool Brewing Fermentation Cooler

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 01:01 AM   #291
CoolBrewing
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Hi Everyone , These are good questions!

We have tested with a 40 watt Fermwrap heater and it worked great. We tested up to 115 degrees F with no issues however we have not used a brewbelt or heating pad yet.

The results with the Fermwrap were as follows:
1.) The Fermwrap alone raised wort temperatures 20 degrees over ambient
2.) The Fermwrap in the Fermentation Cooler raised temperatures 40 degrees over ambient.

The ultimate control with a Fermwrap would be to set up a temperature controller with a Thermowell. Then you could dial in a temperature anywhere up to 40 degrees over ambient and it would regulate itself.

Hope this helps!

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 01:26 AM   #292
Nikobrew
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Thanks for the quick response! Is the Fermwrap you used the same one that Morebeer sells?

Hops and other goodies for sale! Flat rate $5 shipping store wide! So go ahead, throw in some more hops.. Why not? :P

http:/www.NikoBrew.com

"Samsonite, I was WAY off!" -- Lloyd Christmas

Old 01-21-2013, 01:42 AM   #293
CoolBrewing
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikobrew View Post
Thanks for the quick response! Is the Fermwrap you used the same one that Morebeer sells?
No Problem!

I bought mine from Adventures in Homebrewing however Morebeer's looks to be the same.
http://www.homebrewing.org/product.asp?itemid=1732&utm_source=google&utm_medi um=ProductAds&gclid=CLb_iZq1-LQCFelFMgodRB4ACQ
Nikobrew Likes This 
Old 01-21-2013, 02:07 AM   #294
revansCAAD8
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 154

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBrewing View Post
No Problem!

I bought mine from Adventures in Homebrewing however Morebeer's looks to be the same.
http://www.homebrewing.org/product.asp?itemid=1732&utm_source=google&utm_medi um=ProductAds&gclid=CLb_iZq1-LQCFelFMgodRB4ACQ
Thank you, I too am interested in a way to slightly warm my Carboys (Better Bottle) and fermenters (plastic) in my CBCooler during the winter. Think Fermwrap would be safe for them and/or the cooler bag? If not, maybe insulate between or lay the fermwrap down under them? Oh and I do have a DIY STC-1000 temp controller I could possible use with it.

Any help is appreciated,
Robert
GypsyBrew

Old 01-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #295
CoolBrewing
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=revansCAAD8;4807779]Thank you, I too am interested in a way to slightly warm my Carboys (Better Bottle) and fermenters (plastic) in my CBCooler during the winter. Think Fermwrap would be safe for them and/or the cooler bag? If not, maybe insulate between or lay the fermwrap down under them? Oh and I do have a DIY STC-1000 temp controller I could possible use with it.

Hi,

Using a Fermwrap is safe with our fermentation coolers as long as you don’t heat above 115 degrees F. This was as hot as we could get using a standard 40 watt Fermwrap in our fermentation cooler. This should be well above any desired fermentation temperature for beer anyway!

As for Better Bottle it looks like you should be good as well!

I found this listed on their website:
“Use a heating belt or heating wrap with BetterBottle Carboys? – Many winemakers and brewers do so regularly and without any problems. However, bear in mind that the upper temperature limit for BetterBottle carboys is 60°C (140°F). Do not attach a wrap-style or belt-style heater to an empty carboy or to a section of a carboy that is not filled with liquid and apply power. The liquid may be necessary to draw away heat and prevent the surface temperature from rising too much. If you have doubts about how hot your wrap or belt is heating the surface of your carboy, slip a liquid crystal temperature strip capable of reading up to 70°C (158°F) underneath, as a check. Place the label side of the strip toward the carboy so you can read it through the carboy. “

Hope this helps!

Old 01-27-2013, 04:35 AM   #296
Nikobrew
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 133

So to clarify, a Fermwrap can be safely attached directly to the inside of the cooler? My thought is if you can cram multiple fermenters in there and put your temp controller's probe in a thermowell in one of them, and have the Fermwrap attached to the wall of the cooler, as close to the middle of the fermenters as possible, it should regulate the temps of both beers pretty well. Yeah I know the temp of the beer without the probe will not be dialed in 100%, but it would be better than leaving it a swinging room-temp out of the cooler. I am about to place my order of either one or two of these. I'm very excited to stop putting carboys in the bath rub. I'm also not interested in building a fermentation chamber, and this one is portable! Awesome.

Hops and other goodies for sale! Flat rate $5 shipping store wide! So go ahead, throw in some more hops.. Why not? :P

http:/www.NikoBrew.com

"Samsonite, I was WAY off!" -- Lloyd Christmas

Old 01-28-2013, 12:34 AM   #297
IanJ
youtube.com/brewfiles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Might have to pick one of these up after the next paycheck, I may end up being able to lager after all!

Old 01-28-2013, 03:05 PM   #298
Beer-lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I've got 2 and even use them in the winter with no heat. Once I get it to 63 to pitch, it keeps this temp for weeks with no work at all. I love these bags.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #299
IanJ
youtube.com/brewfiles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer-lord View Post
I've got 2 and even use them in the winter with no heat. Once I get it to 63 to pitch, it keeps this temp for weeks with no work at all. I love these bags.
Sounds great! Have there been any HBT discounts?

Old 01-28-2013, 05:35 PM   #300
keanderson
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just ordered one!

Quick Reply