*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Sponsor Showcase > Sponsor Showcase > New Product! Cool Brewing Fermentation Cooler

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 02:03 AM   #261
bfinleyui
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehaar View Post
You could also put the fan from your SOFC in the bag for a few hours. That would have similar affect as being in the SOFC.
Not sure how to mount it in there, it's just a pair of 120mm computer fans wired to a USB hub.

Might jerry rig some sort of command adhesive situation and stick it to the side of the carboy. I have a few of these laying around, would make them removable and easy. I use them to mount my ipad on the wall in my kitchen, currently, good to have music and recipes up during a brewday.
Conditioning:
On Deck: DIPA w/Heady Topper Yeast, Winter Warmer, Imperial Red

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #262
bfinleyui
Recipes 

I ended up putting a fan on the side of the carboy, facing about 45 degrees upward, to pull cool air from the bottom of the cooler and push it up and circulate it. Still wasn't getting a good amount of airflow, so I took some wooden dowels and taped them to the inside of the cooler to prop it up. Temps almost immediately dropped 2 or 3 degrees, and since the initial rush of fermentation has stopped, I've gotten about 64 degrees out of switching a single gallon and a 1 liter bottle twice a day.

Once the krausen falls, I'll probably not care so much if it gets up nearer to 70, and just do one switch per day.

Conditioning:

Old 12-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #263
alestateyall
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfinleyui
I ended up putting a fan on the side of the carboy, facing about 45 degrees upward, to pull cool air from the bottom of the cooler and push it up and circulate it. Still wasn't getting a good amount of airflow, so I took some wooden dowels and taped them to the inside of the cooler to prop it up. Temps almost immediately dropped 2 or 3 degrees, and since the initial rush of fermentation has stopped, I've gotten about 64 degrees out of switching a single gallon and a 1 liter bottle twice a day.

Once the krausen falls, I'll probably not care so much if it gets up nearer to 70, and just do one switch per day.
Thanks! I bought a fan and going to try this on Saturday.

When you propped up the fan can you describe how it was placed? I am planning to set it on a small bucket (1 gallon type which LHBS puts extract in). Should I point it up toward the top or point it at the frozen ice? Or something else?

Old 12-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #264
bfinleyui
Recipes 

Quote:
Thanks! I bought a fan and going to try this on Saturday.

When you propped up the fan can you describe how it was placed? I am planning to set it on a small bucket (1 gallon type which LHBS puts extract in). Should I point it up toward the top or point it at the frozen ice? Or something else?
I haven't really seen a whole lot of difference with which direction I'm pointing the fan, to be honest. It's just to get the air moving. Because the chamber is so small, it shouldn't matter much.

I like your idea of having a 1-gallon bucket to put it on, so there's more velocity of the air directly next to the ice. Mine could probably get a few degrees cooler if I had a way to move the fan down closer to the ice, but this is enough to get me to 64 degrees, which is all I really need at this point.

Conditioning:

Old 12-05-2012, 01:52 AM   #265
alestateyall
Recipes 

Quote:

I haven't really seen a whole lot of difference with which direction I'm pointing the fan, to be honest. It's just to get the air moving. Because the chamber is so small, it shouldn't matter much.

I like your idea of having a 1-gallon bucket to put it on, so there's more velocity of the air directly next to the ice. Mine could probably get a few degrees cooler if I had a way to move the fan down closer to the ice, but this is enough to get me to 64 degrees, which is all I really need at this point.
Thanks! I just thought to put the fan on the bucket to keep it up off the floor of the cooler since there is lots of water which builds up due to condensation. My fan will have a cord.

I got this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007ZLHV8G

I paid a bundle but I wanted the dial to turn down the motor speed so SWMBO doesn't complain about noise.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:56 AM   #266
bfinleyui
Recipes 

I just had a three pack of 120mm fans laying around from some computer stuff I had done a while ago.

They're rated to run at 12v,i wired mine to usb ports, which only run at 5v, which means they run slower than normal, but because they're 120mm,they still push plenty of air, and are virtually silent.

Conditioning:

Old 12-05-2012, 02:50 AM   #267
alestateyall
Recipes 

Quote:
I just had a three pack of 120mm fans laying around from some computer stuff I had done a while ago.

They're rated to run at 12v,i wired mine to usb ports, which only run at 5v, which means they run slower than normal, but because they're 120mm,they still push plenty of air, and are virtually silent.
Are you an EE?

Old 12-05-2012, 02:59 AM   #268
bfinleyui
Recipes 

Nope. General computer nerd. I do application development during the day, but I've been doing hardware work on pcs for quite some time. Only soldered something for the first time a few weeks ago

Conditioning:

Old 12-05-2012, 03:09 AM   #269
alestateyall
Recipes 

Quote:
Nope. General computer nerd. I do application development during the day, but I've been doing hardware work on pcs for quite some time. Only soldered something for the first time a few weeks ago
Just wondering.

I am a electrical and computer engineer. Professor. I teach both.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:21 AM   #270
bfinleyui
Recipes 

Quote:

Just wondering.

I am a electrical and computer engineer. Professor. I teach both.
Nice. I'm slowly but surely trying to learn more about that sort of thing. Have a raspberry pi and temperature probe, along with an ssr ready to go whenever I do happen to come across the chest freezer of my dreams. Might be a while, being that I live in an apartment and all...
Conditioning:

Quick Reply