Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Sponsor Showcase > Sponsor Showcase > New Product! Cool Brewing Fermentation Cooler

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #181
DeuceDog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm glad I came across this thread before I went out and bought another appliance. It's hard to explain to the wife why I need another fridge/freezer when I've already got 2 dedicated to beer.

As someone in a previous post had mentioned, I'd be curious to see how this would work for lagers in a fridge that runs at serving temps. I'd like to keep my fridge at around 40 F as I've got my serving kegs in there, and use a heat wrap to bring the temp up to 50 F inside the carboy cooler for lager fermentaions. Not the most efficient use of energy, but I bet you'd have pretty decent temp control without having to drink warm beer. Has anyone tried this yet?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2012, 08:01 PM   #182
asidrane
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I can't wait to get mine tomorrow and start making lagers. How much ice should I use to keep the temps appropriate for lagering?

Old 08-16-2012, 01:58 AM   #183
CoolBrewing
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBrewing View Post
Hi, So far the Fermwrap heater is working great with our Cool Brewing Cooler! With my current testing the Fermwrap alone is rising the wort temperature around 20 degrees over the room temperature. When placed in the Cool Brewing Cooler with the Fermwrap it is rising the wort temperature a consistent 40 degrees over the room temperature. The cooler seems to be holding up great so far to the heat! I will follow up in another 2 weeks just to make sure it holds up well to long term heat.
Just a follow up 12 days later our fermentation cooler is still working great with the Fermwrap. It is staying a consistent 40 degrees warmer then the outside temperature with a 40 watt Fermwrap inside our fermentation cooler.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:05 AM   #184
CoolBrewing
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by asidrane View Post
I can't wait to get mine tomorrow and start making lagers. How much ice should I use to keep the temps appropriate for lagering?
Hi,

This will depend on how many degrees cooler you need to be to room temperature. In our testing in a 80+ degree room around 1 frozen gallon jug lowered actively fermenting wort temperature around 10 degrees.

Cheers to lagers!

Old 08-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #185
EvilDeadAsh
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

This thing is awesome. After a failed SOF build, I was going to give a swamp cooler a try but didn't really feel like dealing with the mess. This product seemed like a great alternative.

+1 on customer service - I ordered mine through Amazon and received a shipping notification within hours!

I received my cooler earlier this week, brewed on Tuesday. I was able to get my wort down to about 90 degrees quickly, but I didn't feel like waiting to get it further down to pitching temperatures. I threw my better bottle with 90 degree wort into the Cool Brewing cooler with three (3) 1G jugs of ice, and the following morning it had dropped to 72 degrees so I pitched.

Another 24 hours later, I was able to drop the temperature down to 62 degrees and my primary fermentation is chugging along wonderfully! I went to swap out the ice jugs last night, assuming they were melted and discovered there was still a significant amount of ice left in both jugs - so I left them another 12 hours.

Temperature is holding great and I am really happy with my purchase.

Pros: Cheaper than SOF, low tech cooling solution, cleaner than swamp cooler
Cons: None come to mind, loving it so far!

Old 08-17-2012, 04:16 PM   #186
asidrane
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Do you think I could use this with a kegging setup? I imagine that kegged beer should be easier to cool than fermenting beer.

On a different note, I put my saison with a heating pad in the chamber last night and this morning I could see that the yeast activity had ramped up quite a bit.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #187
TheSmithsEra
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I used this last night and I used one liters because I misread the approximate calculation. Even still it lowered the temp with a blow off tube attached to stay in range. Now to only follow directions!

I love this thing!

Violence … is the last refuge of the incompetent

Primary: Dunkelweiss

Bottled: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/left...-clone-139820/

CoolBrewing Likes This 
Old 08-22-2012, 02:53 PM   #188
libeerty
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDog View Post
As someone in a previous post had mentioned, I'd be curious to see how this would work for lagers in a fridge that runs at serving temps. I'd like to keep my fridge at around 40 F as I've got my serving kegs in there, and use a heat wrap to bring the temp up to 50 F inside the carboy cooler for lager fermentaions. Not the most efficient use of energy, but I bet you'd have pretty decent temp control without having to drink warm beer. Has anyone tried this yet?
I will be your guinea pig. I am going to try this. Just ordered it.

Though, I am wondering if it makes more sense to just turn my thermostat to 65F in my apartment, then cool down the fermenter to 50F using it?

Tried to keep up with this signature, but just couldn't.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:33 PM   #189
amh61
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Cold-crashing

Has anyone tried using their cooler for cold-crashing? If so how much ice did you have to use to get it to sufficient temperature?

Bucket #1: Zombie Dust Clone
Bucket #2: Empty
Bottled: Midwest Furious IPA Clone; American Amber Ale; Cream of Three Crops Cream Ale
Planning: Simcoe IPA
Killed: Citrillo Pale Ale; Irish Red

Old 08-22-2012, 05:04 PM   #190
littlelord
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I ran across this thread today... 10 minutes later I ordered two bags. I brew in a small NYC apartment so there's definitely no room for another fridge... this looks like my solution!

Quick Reply