The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Sponsor Showcase > Sponsor Showcase > Need Homebrewtalk Members help on ordering new kegs!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #11
KegconnectionLLC
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBF View Post
I would prefer the 3 gallon and 5 gallon keg with metal strap handle. I own both types of the 5 gallon kegs and I don't see the benifit of the rubber top. Especially when the rubber tops start falling apart.
This was my thought originally and the reason I have never stocked the more expensive rubber handled tops. The reason soda companies used the rubber handle top kegs was because they were easier to stack, but I was not sure why homebrewers would pay extra for them. If anyone has reasons I would love to hear them. I am probably missing something here and need an education! Also, why do people want 3 gallon kegs? One person mentioned he is doing three gallon batches and that makes perfect sense, but most batches are 5 gallons and if you split them you would put 2.5 gallons in each (again this is my thought process, that does not mean it is correct) So if you prefer 3 gallon kegs, why is that? Sorry all the questions, but I am just trying to understand the market better so we can serve you better?
Todd

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #12
Peter_h
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

5 gallon rubber top and 2.5 gallon (rubber top if you had). I have to stack the kegs where I keep my spares. Price difference is close enough that it is negligible.

2.5g is needed because a 3 gallon doesn't fit on the compressor hump in my keezer.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:59 PM   #13
govner1
Raconteur
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 185 Times on 153 Posts

3 gallon- it's all I use. Even have a few of yours in my inventory.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #14
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have a few 3 gallon better bottles for smaller batches, so 3 gallon would be good, but could use the 2.5 just as easy and cut down on the size of the batch. Most of the 3 gallon batches I do 3.25 gallons, primary in a 5 gallon and seconday in the 3.

Probably pick up some smaller kegs this fall, after realizing last winter just how long it takes to drink 5 gallons of some of my bigger beers, probalby going to do more small batches.

Also I find the rubber tops easier for moving kegs around, but that probably goes back to moving soad kegs in high school

Old 05-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #15
CA_Mouse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 207

I haven't started kegging yet (price point to start kegging is the main reason). Once I do start though, I would be getting 3 gallon kegs. Most of my batches are 5.5 to 6 gallons and trying to stuff that into a 5 gallons keg just wouldn't work.

Mouse

Old 05-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #16
jperry
Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 512

I have the 5 gal metal-strap kegs. That said... I think one of the only advantages, of having the rubber top kegs, would be having a slightly easier time lowering the keg, straight down, into a crowded chest freezer. Thats just my setup though, a small haier 7.1 cu.ft. 4 keg keezer.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:23 PM   #17
theknub
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 61

i use pin (hint) but 5G no rubber here.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:31 PM   #18
BryanJon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just ordered 3 of the rubber topped 5 gallon kegs. Thanks Todd.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:46 PM   #19
BBBF
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegconnectionLLC View Post
This was my thought originally and the reason I have never stocked the more expensive rubber handled tops. The reason soda companies used the rubber handle top kegs was because they were easier to stack, but I was not sure why homebrewers would pay extra for them. If anyone has reasons I would love to hear them. I am probably missing something here and need an education! Also, why do people want 3 gallon kegs? One person mentioned he is doing three gallon batches and that makes perfect sense, but most batches are 5 gallons and if you split them you would put 2.5 gallons in each (again this is my thought process, that does not mean it is correct) So if you prefer 3 gallon kegs, why is that? Sorry all the questions, but I am just trying to understand the market better so we can serve you better?
Todd
Ha... I currently have a bunch of emptly kegs stored in the corner my basement. The 1 handle kegs are stacked on top of the 2 handle kegs because it doesn't work the other way around. I still like the one handle ones more for the reasons I already stated and I wouldn't pay more for 2 handle ones. I'd trade my 2 handles kegs for 1 handle kegs any day. But beggers can't be choosers. If I need a keg, I'm buying what's availible.

For 2.5g vs 3g:

1. I can put 2.5g in a 3g keg, but I can't put 3g in a 2.5g keg.

2. Smaller batches: Sometimes I just make < 5 gallons and I'd rather have 3 gallons than 2.5. 3 gallon carboys go great with 3 gallon kegs.

3. Travel: I don't want any sediment to get stirred up, so I always carb in a 5 gallon keg and transfer 3 gallons into the smaller keg (sans sediment). You could do the same in 2.5g keg, but that's less beer to take with you. The equal split point is moot because I don't see why I'd want to transfer the remaining beer into another small keg. I'm only taking one of them with me, othewise I'd just bring the single 5 gallon keg. The remaining beer can stay in the 5g keg because it's staying home in my kegerator that is already occupying. Transfering the remaining beer to a smaller keg is an unneccesary step and a waste of CO2. In fact the best reason to have 2 smaller kegs, the is to bring two different beers, so you wouldn't want to waste on of them on the same beer.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:36 AM   #20
orion7144
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts

I use the 3 gallon for soda since they fit on the hump on my keezer. For the 5 gallon I need ones that are like the original ball lock in diameter since I can fit 4 vs 3 of the pin lock diameter ones.I could care less about the rubber for the handle.

On another note if it would save some cash.... As long as you guys check that it is leak tight I can clean them. Even if they are supposedly cleaned I still tear them down.

Quick Reply