Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Sponsor Showcase > Sponsor Showcase > Malted Milk Stout Anyone? Our new sale priced recipe kit!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2011, 12:24 AM   #21
subervia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Jeremy,

I just replied to your email, but I felt compelled to post here as well. First, I look forward to trying this recipe, sounds very good. It will be my first foray into a full grain brew so I look forward to it. Second, I would like to say, as I did in my email, that the service I have received is outstanding and refreshing. I look forward to ordering from you in the future.

Thanks,

Leonard

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2011, 01:09 AM   #22
ApexBrewWares
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Leonard this will be a good recipe for you. Its super simple to brew which is one of the reasons it is one of my favorites. Let me know when you read over the instructions if you need any clarification. I just re-wrote our recipe instructions on a new format so I am looking forward to a little feedback. I think they are greatly improved over the old style we used to ship.
Take care and be sure to let me know what you think when you finally get to taste the first one!
Jeremy

Visit us at www.apexbrewwares.com
Facebook ApexBrewWares
Twitter @ApexBrewWaresBlog: http://apexbrewwares.wordpress.com/

Old 09-21-2011, 07:01 PM   #23
mcbethenstein
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts

Are there any progress updates on any of these yet? I am EXTREMELY interested in making one like this, but I want to know how this comes out first? Mainly what is the difference between using the malted milk powder and just using lactose? what flavors are present in the end? My goal is to make a "whoppers" stout, and I will be using chocolate malt, debittered black malt, MO, and lactose for sure. The variables right now are the amount of malted milk powder, Crystal malt (not sure on which to go with 20, 40 or 60) and chocolate (deciding between cocoa powder or hershey's syrup). I plan to decoct the main mash to really get some maltiness going, and add my dark malts in to the 2nd 1/2 of the mash to minimize tannin extraction and harshness. Any thoughts on this from those who have made this before.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:55 PM   #24
groosh
Recipes 

I brewed two of these and they turned out amazing. I took one of them with me on a code retreat and the entire keg disappeared in no time with rave reviews. I will definitely be brewing this again.

The only comments I have are to be extremely gentle when adding the malted milk because if you pour too quickly it will lump up and not dissolve into the wort.

I highly recommend this kit!

Old 09-21-2011, 09:00 PM   #25
mcbethenstein
Recipes 

Awesome!

Can you comment on how the flavor compares to any other sweet stouts? How much sweetness was there? And how much of the malted milk powder did you use for your batch?

Old 09-21-2011, 10:42 PM   #26
Philip_T
Recipes 

So, I've never had a malted milk stout before, but have been recently thinking that a stout that had huge notes of a chocolate malt (soda fountain, not grain) would be incredible. Is that basically what this recipe is? If so, I'm down!

On Deck Circle: Apricot Ale
Fermenting: Belgian Quad
Fermenting: Amarillo Ale
Bottled: AHS Stone Russian Imperial Stout clone kit

Old 09-21-2011, 11:47 PM   #27
ApexBrewWares
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbethenstein View Post
Awesome!

Can you comment on how the flavor compares to any other sweet stouts? How much sweetness was there? And how much of the malted milk powder did you use for your batch?
mcbethenstein if you dont mind me answering, I have brewed this a gazillion times and here is my take on it. To me it has a tad sweeter, more complex if you will sweetness than say left hand milk stout. I always get notes of caramel and almost coffee creamer vanilla if that makes sense. Not a ton of chocolate but you could certainly accentuate the chocolate flavor by using cacoa nibs or chocolate malted milk powder. I never think of it as over-sweet because the inherent nature of the stout seems to keep it from being cloyingly sweet.
I would say you could sub lactose for the malted milk and get a similar flavor minus the caramel notes and the "depth" that the powder brings.
I hope that maybe that gives you a little insight. As you know 10 different guys can all drink the same beer and you will get 10 different taste descriptions so this is simply my take on the flavor profile.
Oh and by the way I always use 26 oz of malted milk powder.
Jeremy

Facebook ApexBrewWares

Old 09-21-2011, 11:49 PM   #28
ApexBrewWares
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_T View Post
So, I've never had a malted milk stout before, but have been recently thinking that a stout that had huge notes of a chocolate malt (soda fountain, not grain) would be incredible. Is that basically what this recipe is? If so, I'm down!
Philip T see my last post right before this one. I think this would be great for you from what you are saying if you brewed as usual, and then added 4 ounces of cacoa nibs in the last 5-10 days of primary or secondary fermentation.
Jeremy

Facebook ApexBrewWares

Old 09-22-2011, 02:17 AM   #29
mcbethenstein
Recipes 

My plan so far is to use the malted milk in addition to the lactose I have on hand. I want an almost candy-like sweetness, but I don't want it cloying or too thick. I'm trying to hit the right balance. I've made northern brewers sweet stout before and it calls for 16 oz lactose in the boil for a 5 gal batch, and my boyfriend thinks that's perfect, but I want it just a tad more sweet. (I just got my score sheets back on it and they say it should be sweeter and have a bit more body for a sweet stout.) I've done a little internet searching and can't seem to find out exactly what percentage of the malted milk is lactose/un-fermentable. And I would love to know if the malted wheat and barley in the powder is in the disaccharide form, or if it is a bit more starchy (and thusly un-fermentable). I'm only planning on a 3 gal batch for this friday, and was thinking about 8 oz of lactose and 13-19 oz malted milk (1 or 1 1/2 jars). I hope this isn't too much, because so far my experience with lactose is that it is pretty mild, and barely sweet.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:47 PM   #30
NWMushroom
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Mine is still in the fermenter. I will say that I ended up with an OG of around 1.082 instead of 1.068, though!

Looking forward to tasting this in a couple of months. I'll update then - in the meantime, I'd say give it a try. It smells amazing already!

Quick Reply