Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Sponsor Showcase > Sponsor Showcase > Limited Edition White Labs German Lager X - Now Available!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
Rebel_Brewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default Limited Edition White Labs German Lager X - Now Available!!

White Labs is unveiling this brand new strain at the 2012 National Homebrewer's Conference in Seattle. But why wait, we have it NOW!!

WLP835 - German Lager X
Classic yeast from a famous Bavarian monastery (Kreuzberg perhaps? they won't tell us). This strain develops a creamy, malty beer profile with low sulfer production and low esters. It is a great choice for styles like traditional Helles, Oktoberfest, Bock and Munich Dunkel.

Attenuation: 70-75%
Flocculation: Medium
Temp: 50-55°F

Click Here to be one of the first to get your hands on this brand new very limited release strain from White Labs

Our Store: Rebel Brewer Homebrew Supply
and
On FaceBook: www.facebook.com/rebelbrewer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #2
Thundercougarfalconbird
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Just kegged the second of 2 beers I made with German Lager X. Yeast put off a lot of sulfur during the ferment. I did heavy d-rests on both brews.
Generation 1: Munich Dunkel- Fermented out fast ~3weeks @ 53f, and has dropped mostly clear after 3 weeks of lagering (I suspect 2-4 more weeks until it is perfect) The beer is very creamy and malty with moderate fruity-banana ester. There is a little alcohol heat, but I suspect it will mellow. This yeast seems to lack the minerally-twang I love in my German lagers.
Generation 2: Vienna/Galaxy SMASH (100 IBU's) Just went into keg, the sample is heaven. I fermented 53f for 2 weeks, 57 for 1 week, and dry hopped @60 for 12 days. I decided to lager it after dry hop.

I will be entering both beers into an upcoming lager competition and will have BJCP notes if anyone wants more insight into the yeast.

All in all German Lager x seems meh. I would recommend it for bocks and Octoberfest style lagers. I prefer Saflager 34/70 in my Munich Dunkel (I like mine a bit on the dry side).
If you're looking for a thick malty beer for the winter months, this yeast is perfect, but don't expect the same crispness of other strains. If I had to use it again I would look into Baltic Porters.

The best beer I ever made was the next one I brew.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Im interested.

Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Bartender Ill have what the gentleman on the floor is drinking.

I have spent more $ on brewing equipment than my truck cost!

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Good/Great beer takes time! if you want a quick beer go to the store or bar!

Things come and go. Good beer will live on for ever ! WileECoyote

Old 02-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #4
AndMan3030
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I am interested as well. I just brewed a Munich Dunkel with this strain. have not tasted it yet, as it has only been fermenting for 2 days now. chugging along at 52 degrees though...

Quick Reply