*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Sponsor Showcase > Sponsor Showcase > Jaybird's Stainless False Bottoms

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2012, 07:01 AM   #761
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 348 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDragon View Post
I have what I think is the standard issue 10 gallon Igloo (yellow and red one, seen them all over). Currently I'm using a tube screen but getting ready to upgrade to your cooler false bottom. Do I need to measure it or do you have the Igloo ones pretty much down now?
This is a killer question as I get it asked all the time in the store and on the web.
I have bought several coolers from the same company, lets just use Igloo as an example but they are all the same. There is a major difference between all the coolers. I think this is because of the foam injection they do, but dont know that to be fact. So you can have 5 Igloo coolers side by side and have 5 diferent measurements. So to answer your question. Yes, get me a measurement 2" above the bottom of the cooler. I ask for a measurement on ALL cooler false bottoms I build, and custom build them for your needs
Again thanks for asking the question here.

Cheers
Jay

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too
Smoke Cigars? www.stogietoys.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 02:52 AM   #762
lemy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Puzzled...

I too have the same question about supporting the weight and don't really understand why 32# of grain would let grain through, I would think the additional weight would either have no effect, or actually secure the FB more firmly to the bottom. Also don't get why RIMS/HERMS would matter at all.

I am planning on purchasing (I can't believe nobody else makes a FB that fits the entire concave bottom of a keg) a FB for my Keggle that actually has a pipe welded into the edge of the concave bottom, so no dip tube, but I do need a FB to reach all the way to the edge. Click here for photos.

I'm also a little perplexed about the hinges and why reversing them matters.

I apologize if any of this has been covered.

Thanks,
-Lemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
Great questions.
I have used my 15" for years without a stand without any issues. I did notice grain getting through a little, while I was doing larger batches 32+# but that is only after years of abuse. From what I have seen anything under 27# your good if your not doing a RIMS or HERMS. Since I started using the level 1 in my MLT I will say this. The added support and the added filtration from the material being there to help stop grain from getting in the diptube is a huge bonus.

As for the level 3 without the FB? I am not sure. I would guess it would clog fairly quickly, but I have not tried it myself and of course it's going to depend on the hop load you throw at it. You can always try it and if you need more filtration add the 15" FB later. You will need a hose clamp or something to hold the Level 3 down during the boil though.

Cheers
Jay

-Lemy

www.reedbrewing.com

Old 10-15-2012, 08:38 AM   #763
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemy View Post
I too have the same question about supporting the weight and don't really understand why 32# of grain would let grain through, I would think the additional weight would either have no effect, or actually secure the FB more firmly to the bottom. Also don't get why RIMS/HERMS would matter at all.

I am planning on purchasing (I can't believe nobody else makes a FB that fits the entire concave bottom of a keg) a FB for my Keggle that actually has a pipe welded into the edge of the concave bottom, so no dip tube, but I do need a FB to reach all the way to the edge. Click here for photos.

I'm also a little perplexed about the hinges and why reversing them matters.

I apologize if any of this has been covered.

Thanks,
-Lemy
Lemy
All good questions! To start, there are others that make a 15" hinged false bottom, I am not the only one on the market, but I do think my system is better.

Why 32# of grain or HERMS or RIMS systems make a difference, although I make these out of 16ga material they do have their limitations and will bow down, splitting the two halves apart a tad in the center, if put under too much stress. I have found that under normal conditions a stand isn't needed and the hinges can take the stress. But most home brewers these days are adding the constant draw of the RIMS and HERMS systems, creating a little too much pressure on the false bottom. I created the stands to eliminate that bowing and separation of the hinge.
The stands added so much extra strength and extra filtration to the system it has been a 2 fold successful addition to the entire system. In doing this I needed to reverse the hinge so the underneath side of the false bottom where the stand is going to set was flat and wouldn't interfere with how the false bottom set in the kettle. So without a stand, hinges down. With a stand, hinges up.

Thanks for the questions. Hope I was able to answer them.

Cheers
Jay

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too

Old 10-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #764
lemy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Now I totally get it.

Jay,

Now I totally get it! the grain gets through the center hinged area, makes perfect sense. Thank you for the explanation.

So... Free shipping in the November/December time frame?

Thanks,
-John/Lemy

-Lemy

www.reedbrewing.com

Old 10-16-2012, 04:41 AM   #765
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemy View Post
Jay,

Now I totally get it! the grain gets through the center hinged area, makes perfect sense. Thank you for the explanation.

So... Free shipping in the November/December time frame?

Thanks,
-John/Lemy
Heck yeah man! no problem... Free shipping???? I am gonna guess Dec not November. We have a few things we want to offer as a free shipping deal, but Dec is more likely.....
Cheers
Jay

Old 10-16-2012, 05:03 AM   #766
HollisBT
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Well hurry up and offer us something, I'm waiting to make my order!!

Old 10-19-2012, 02:04 PM   #767
vinylicious
addicted.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Jay,

I am contemplating using a FB in my Bottom Drain Keggle BK with a 5500W Ripple Element installed. Would a reverse hinge FB be able to fit under the element? I haven't installed it yet, so I can give myself a bit more room if need be. Would it be possible to have a FB made with 3 hinges?

Old 10-19-2012, 11:59 PM   #768
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylicious View Post
Jay,

I am contemplating using a FB in my Bottom Drain Keggle BK with a 5500W Ripple Element installed. Would a reverse hinge FB be able to fit under the element? I haven't installed it yet, so I can give myself a bit more room if need be. Would it be possible to have a FB made with 3 hinges?
It should fit no problem, just depends on how much room you have from the end of the element to the side of the keg. Best thing to do is make a cardboard FB 14 7/8" split it in the center and just play with it in the kettle and see. Yes I can make one hinged in 2 spots for sure.

Cheers
Jay

Old 10-25-2012, 05:19 PM   #769
erikrocks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Any chance you're gong to announce this deal soon? I've got a huge order sitting in my cart!

Old 10-26-2012, 09:16 AM   #770
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikrocks View Post
Any chance you're gong to announce this deal soon? I've got a huge order sitting in my cart!
Still working out the details on how its going to work exactly and we are testing the promo code on the site. I will let you guys know here early next week....But it will be a promo for November....Not December.

Cheers
Jay

Quick Reply