Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Sponsor Showcase > Sponsor Showcase > Jaybird's Stainless False Bottoms

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #661
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 508 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 828

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburgette View Post
Click on Mash Details > Double Click on Whatever you named your mash ("Mash In" I believe is the default)

You should see what Beersmith assigned your water/grain ratios.
1.25 was the setting for all of them. I don't know how I got the math wrong, just divide the number #s of grain into the number qts of water, but hey

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 103 batches and counting (as of 11/11/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #662
Dennisusa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

This is such a massive post that even using "search this thread" yields multiple pages of results. Direct me to the right spot if this has been answered already..

How effective is a FB/hop blocker combo (center dip tube) with the following setup: keggle -> pump -> CFC -> fermenter. Assuming 12 oz pellets (no leaf or whirlpool) and no cold break (no IC) how much pellet residue would get through the FB/HB combo? I don't have plate chiller concerns, but still want to keep as much pellet residue out my fermenter as possible. Has anyone compared this to either hop stopper or Derrin's trub filter? Thanks.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #663
csamson
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by csamson
I got my FB a few weeks ago and have done 2 batches with it so far. I have been having a lot of problems with a stuck mash. I'm using a 15" hinged and the diptube sits about 1/4" off the bottom of my keg. My first batch had a few problems and I had to blow back through the tube connected to my pump to unstick the mash. For my second batch I made sure all the connections were perfect and fit super tight. But like an idiot, brewed a dunkleweisen for an upcoming competition, it got totally stuck and even by blowing back into the mash could not get it to flow. I had to dump my mash into my old cooler mash tun to finish it out.

What am I doing wrong?? I've never used a false bottom before and have a hell of a time putting it together each time, but it looks good when I get it all ready. I end up with a ton of grain below the FB after the mash as well. I'm scared to use it again and have thought about switching to the stainless braid. But I have read so many good reviews it must be something that I'm doing wrong?

Please see this:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f41/jayb...ml#post3773969

I read about that in the thread as well and I think that may be exactly what I need to do. I'll test it out and let you guys know how if that fixed my problems. Thanks for the help guys!

Old 03-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #664
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 508 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 828

I did another brew yesterday. Vorlaufing worked. The only thing that I KNOW I did different was that I

A) Per Jay's instrux opened the valve all the way when starting draining.
B) I cracked the lid to my cooler open to equalize the air pressure between the room and the Mash tun.

These two things together allowed the mash to flow much faster at the outset, and the grainbed to settle into a nice filter. About 2 quarts of vorlauf and the wort was much clearer then either of my other two brews.

Subtle things make big differences I guess. Thanks for the tips everyone!

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 103 batches and counting (as of 11/11/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:08 AM   #665
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 430 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaysurfer View Post
I did another brew yesterday. Vorlaufing worked. The only thing that I KNOW I did different was that I

A) Per Jay's instrux opened the valve all the way when starting draining.
B) I cracked the lid to my cooler open to equalize the air pressure between the room and the Mash tun.

These two things together allowed the mash to flow much faster at the outset, and the grainbed to settle into a nice filter. About 2 quarts of vorlauf and the wort was much clearer then either of my other two brews.

Subtle things make big differences I guess. Thanks for the tips everyone!
Man, I do love it when a plan comes together!
Happy Brewing!
Cheers
Jay

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too
Smoke Cigars? www.stogietoys.com

Old 03-14-2012, 07:21 AM   #666
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennisusa View Post
This is such a massive post that even using "search this thread" yields multiple pages of results. Direct me to the right spot if this has been answered already..

How effective is a FB/hop blocker combo (center dip tube) with the following setup: keggle -> pump -> CFC -> fermenter. Assuming 12 oz pellets (no leaf or whirlpool) and no cold break (no IC) how much pellet residue would get through the FB/HB combo? I don't have plate chiller concerns, but still want to keep as much pellet residue out my fermenter as possible. Has anyone compared this to either hop stopper or Derrin's trub filter? Thanks.
Well as you know the false bottoms are not really designed to stop pellet hops altogether. That said.
I just brewed a 10 gallon batch of IPA. It went a little something like this.
2 oz pellet @ 60 min
2 oz pellet @ 20 min
2 oz whole @ 5 min
12 oz pellet @ 5 min
2 oz bitter orange peel @ 5 min

I wish I could post more pictures here because I think you would get the drift of what a 15" false bottom can stop. I use an IC and was testing a new product. The 15" stopped about 80% of all the hops... I didn't weigh them but from what I took out of the kettle and what little was trapped in my new product I can easily say 80% and probably more like 85%. all the hops that came out of the kettle came out in the first runnings from the boil kettle, so they got there during the boil and not after the drain started.
Hope that helps.
Cheers
Jay

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too

Old 03-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #667
forcabrew
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

How's the new product looking? Any eta on when you will start selling it?

Old 03-15-2012, 05:14 AM   #668
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Default New Product

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcabrew View Post
How's the new product looking? Any eta on when you will start selling it?
It worked good but I need to make a change on screen size. I have new screen on the way from my manufacture and will get it tested again as soon as it hits the store. All in all I was impressed with the results, the function and the ease of use but the flow was a little to slow and it slowly got clogged with the 18oz of hops and 2oz of orange peel I threw at it. But I am working on it and really think its going to rock! Besides, it's making me brew, something I have not gotten to do here lately, and I will NEVER complain about that!
Cheers
Jay

Old 03-16-2012, 12:38 AM   #669
SandbaggerOne
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I just received one of Jaybird's hop blockers for my brew kettle. It looks great, it fits great, and I can't wait to brew with it. I use mostly whole hops so it should work well. Thanks for the quick and painless service!

Old 03-16-2012, 03:33 AM   #670
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandbaggerOne View Post
I just received one of Jaybird's hop blockers for my brew kettle. It looks great, it fits great, and I can't wait to brew with it. I use mostly whole hops so it should work well. Thanks for the quick and painless service!
Heck yeah, my pleasure.... Welcome to HBT. Great first post

Quick Reply