Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Sponsor Showcase > Sponsor Showcase > Interested in an Electric Kettle Set Up? Come on in....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2012, 04:11 PM   #51
tre9er
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Something that I think many people don't understand is that having electric elements doesn't REQUIRE a sophisticated controller, etc. Mine are simply elements with glorified extension cords running to the wall outlets. Yeah, I don't have precision control, but I'm using them for HLT and BK...why do I need control there again? I've brewed a dozen batches with this setup and the selling point for me was that I could do it in the basement, which I can't do with propane and no stove is gonna heat 10g of wort.

It's not as intimidating as it seems, is all I'm saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2012, 04:24 PM   #52
uberg33k
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
Something that I think many people don't understand is that having electric elements doesn't REQUIRE a sophisticated controller, etc. Mine are simply elements with glorified extension cords running to the wall outlets. Yeah, I don't have precision control, but I'm using them for HLT and BK...why do I need control there again? I've brewed a dozen batches with this setup and the selling point for me was that I could do it in the basement, which I can't do with propane and no stove is gonna heat 10g of wort.

It's not as intimidating as it seems, is all I'm saying.
I'd definitely agree that the BK just needs to be on/off and powerful enough to get a rolling boil going. That can be really simple. However, I'd think you'd want your HLT to have a bit more sophistication since strike temperature matters. If you're recirculating, that kind of control becomes even more important.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #53
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberg33k View Post
I'd definitely agree that the BK just needs to be on/off and powerful enough to get a rolling boil going. That can be really simple. However, I'd think you'd want your HLT to have a bit more sophistication since strike temperature matters. If you're recirculating, that kind of control becomes even more important.
Right, IF you're recirculating.

Look at it like this: When you use propane to heat strike water you just crank it up and watch the thermometer. When it get's where you want it, you turn off the heat and move the water to the MLT.

It's the same exact principle with a basic eHLT setup. Fire up element(s), watch thermometer, turn off when at temp.

I'm saying as a means to brew indoors with electricity, it can be incredibly simple. If you want more automation and sophistication, yes, you need temp control and such.

Quote:
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 08-15-2012, 05:00 PM   #54
SpikeBrewing
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotbfan View Post
Even if you didn't want to make it completely assembled, a "kit" that had the parts all included and suggested assembly directions would make me bite, then if it isn't wired right and I burn my house down it would be on me i am assuming. Alternately a suggested addon list with items that are also available separately from your site that I could add in for the same shipment, and said directions would work for me. I just hate going through 5 different vendors, hoping that when I can't find the right piece that my guess at a like part will still work, and I usually give up, especially on electrical things. This is the main reason I never made a brutus 10 (no interest in trying to make the control panel and nobody sells reasonable priced models) and haven't done electric brewing yet (getting the parts for the element are too dicey for me).
A plug and play is in the works but we want the system to be fully tested.

I view giving an un-experienced person a 'kit' to giving someone a gun, magazine and bullets hoping they know how to use it. Everyone is so sue happy now-a-days that even good intentions get people in trouble. In the mean time we'll be offering just the 1" coupler and ground for the DIY's. The kit will be to follow.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #55
tre9er
Recipes 

Sorry to muddy-up your thread, Spike. Kudos on the coupler though. I had to drill another hole in my HLT for the ground wire...something I wasn't happy about.

Quote:

Old 08-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #56
SpikeBrewing
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Quote:
Sorry to muddy-up your thread, Spike. Kudos on the coupler though. I had to drill another hole in my HLT for the ground wire...something I wasn't happy about.
Feel free to muddy. The open forum is a great place for customers to voice their opinions and vendors to design products based off those.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #57
Retrofit
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Idiot question on that electric coupler.

Can that be welded on from the outside only?

I've built my own RIMS, I'm super handy, but I'm not a welder. I've been thinking of converting an uncut keg into a still. I was wondering if I popped a hole in a keg with our taking the top off, if that coupler could be welded in place. I know nothing about welding so the answer might be no. If its yes, I could build a sweet electric still.

Any advice is appreciated.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:17 PM   #58
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofit View Post

I've built my own RIMS, I'm super handy, but I'm not a welder. I've been thinking of converting an uncut keg into a still. I was wondering if I popped a hole in a keg with our taking the top off, if that coupler could be welded in place. I know nothing about welding so the answer might be no. If its yes, I could build a sweet electric still.

Judging from the pictures, I'd say it WAS welded from the outside.

Quote:

Old 08-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #59
SpikeBrewing
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofit View Post

The coupler was welded from the outside. It's not as easy as popping a hole in welding. We special drills, punches and tooling to get the coupler into place. If that's not done you'll have a terrible looking backside weld. You can also back purge with argon but that costs $$. Welding stainless is not easy (although everyone thinks it is). So many times people will bring their stuff into a welder that has "welded stainless 1000's of times" but their end product ends up like this:

We could have it welded up if you sent it to us but shipping is going to be $$$

Old 08-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #60
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 782 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 541

Quote:
If you could come up with a nice housing for the element to shield the wires/connections from liquid that would be "plug n play" enough for 99% of people. Let them simply connect 3 wires to a H/D extension cord and just about anyone can do that. Something that easily affixes to cover the element base yet is 99.9% water-tight. Perhaps if the coupler were also threaded on the outside then a PVC cap with a cord-grip could thread right on, voila.

They exist:

Wattco or Chromalox makes them and they only cost $200-$400 and up These are of course commercial/industrial products. It sure would be nice if Camco or some other manufacturer would make something like this more affordable but I'm sure the electric brewer market is not large enough to make it worthwile.

The coupler threaded on the outside is a good idea but any leaks would end up inside the electrical box.

Quick Reply