The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Sponsor Showcase > Sponsor Showcase > Interested in an Electric Kettle Set Up? Come on in....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2012, 03:55 AM   #41
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I think I'm going to want a 20gallon one when you get it all set up. I'm going to need an extra two 1/2 coupler for the the HEX. What do you charge per extra coupling?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #42
SpikeBrewing
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 52

***UPDATE***

Our welder will be welding the finished 1" couplers into a few kettles this weekend. Once those are done I will do some testing on them. We should be ready to take orders by next week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsquared View Post
I think I'm going to want a 20gallon one when you get it all set up. I'm going to need an extra two 1/2 coupler for the the HEX. What do you charge per extra coupling?
The standard 20gal comes with (2) 1/2" couplers. Each additional coupler after that would be $20.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #43
Marchborne
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRatBrewer View Post
The closer it is to plug and play the more interested I am. Electricity is an area where I get nervous with diy
THIS. I would also be interested in as plug-n-play a system as y'all could create. Although I'm guessing I brew on a smaller scale (still on 5 gallon batches) than most.

BTW: The 6-gal aluminum kettle arrived, and the partial-mash saison from it;'s first brew is happily churning away in the basement. Many thanks, the kettle looks like it'll work great for smaller batches on my glass stovetop.

"I said something to drink, not something to bathe in."

Therapy is for those unfortunates who've run out of beer.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #44
SpikeBrewing
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchborne View Post
THIS. I would also be interested in as plug-n-play a system as y'all could create. Although I'm guessing I brew on a smaller scale (still on 5 gallon batches) than most.

BTW: The 6-gal aluminum kettle arrived, and the partial-mash saison from it;'s first brew is happily churning away in the basement. Many thanks, the kettle looks like it'll work great for smaller batches on my glass stovetop.
A plug and play is something we want to do BUT there is a lot of liability there. In the mean time we will be recommending that any element wiring be done by an electrician. 240V is nothing to mess around with!

***UPDATE***

Our test elements (one 110V and one 240V) will be in this week. I will be picking up the test units today with the 1" couplers installed with the ground lead welded to that. Hopefully I'll have some pics tonight......

Old 08-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #45
everty2007
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sweet cant wait to see the final product and results.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #46
SpikeBrewing
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

***BIG Update***

So we're almost there! Thanks for all the patience up until this point! The 'frankenkettle' is back with a bunch of 1" couplers welded into it. Below are the pics of the final product. You'll see that a 1" water heater element will screw all the way into the coupler. We have also welded on a 1/4-20 nut for use as a ground.

Many people have been asking for a 'plug and play' system. We will initially only offering the 1" coupler, ground lead and welding. We want to bring in an electrician to help develop a system since the liability is higher.

Enjoy...

1" coupler with ground lead

Camco 02963 5500W 240V water heater element installed

Heater element screwed in all the way without gasket

Heater element screwed in with gasket

Old 08-14-2012, 08:25 PM   #47
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

If you could come up with a nice housing for the element to shield the wires/connections from liquid that would be "plug n play" enough for 99% of people. Let them simply connect 3 wires to a H/D extension cord and just about anyone can do that. Something that easily affixes to cover the element base yet is 99.9% water-tight. Perhaps if the coupler were also threaded on the outside then a PVC cap with a cord-grip could thread right on, voila.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 08-15-2012, 07:19 AM   #48
lotbfan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Even if you didn't want to make it completely assembled, a "kit" that had the parts all included and suggested assembly directions would make me bite, then if it isn't wired right and I burn my house down it would be on me i am assuming. Alternately a suggested addon list with items that are also available separately from your site that I could add in for the same shipment, and said directions would work for me. I just hate going through 5 different vendors, hoping that when I can't find the right piece that my guess at a like part will still work, and I usually give up, especially on electrical things. This is the main reason I never made a brutus 10 (no interest in trying to make the control panel and nobody sells reasonable priced models) and haven't done electric brewing yet (getting the parts for the element are too dicey for me).

Old 08-15-2012, 01:28 PM   #49
DustBow
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
If you could come up with a nice housing for the element to shield the wires/connections from liquid that would be "plug n play" enough for 99% of people. Let them simply connect 3 wires to a H/D extension cord and just about anyone can do that. Something that easily affixes to cover the element base yet is 99.9% water-tight. Perhaps if the coupler were also threaded on the outside then a PVC cap with a cord-grip could thread right on, voila.
There are many easy ways to cover the connection from JB Weld and a PVC coupling to more elaborate electrical boxes to simple heat shrink tubing.

Getting the 1" coupler on there is the biggest obstacle for most people and the grounding lug is really nice too.

Good job Spike

"Brewing beer is neither complicated nor expensive. It's the responsibility of the brewer to make it as complicated and expensive as their spouse & budget will allow."

Old 08-15-2012, 03:08 PM   #50
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustBow View Post
There are many easy ways to cover the connection from JB Weld and a PVC coupling to more elaborate electrical boxes to simple heat shrink tubing.
I know, I have 4 elements installed.

I was giving suggestions for making this less intimidating for someone who isn't a DIY person and doesn't want to do any of that. The term "plug-n-play" was used. My suggestion was to make it more "plug-n-play" for those people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Quick Reply