Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Sponsor Showcase > Sponsor Showcase > Ever Drop a Glass Carboy? After all day of brewing..?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #11
DeepWoodBrew
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompbox View Post
I love the idea of stainless growlers, but I don't know why the manufacturers have not taken it a step further and put a ball-lock gas in post on it so you can pressurize it.

I understand from the description that you can prime these which is great unless you do not plan on drinking the whole growler in one sitting.
Just a note on our growlers, once you do break the seal and pour a glass. You can cap the growlers back up until the next round. These growlers will hold the carbination for a atleast one week..with taking a glass or two off a day.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #12
Gear101
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Stainless is painless, any thoughts of larger sizes like 14 gallons?

or maybe I should ask how much headspace does the ten have?

Islamorada Pale Ale by Island Time Brewery

Stainless is Painless

Old 12-11-2012, 11:45 AM   #13
DeepWoodBrew
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear101 View Post
Stainless is painless, any thoughts of larger sizes like 14 gallons?

or maybe I should ask how much headspace does the ten have?
The ten gallon size is pretty tight on head space..however, we have been looking at making a 15 gallon size... However, this will create some difficulty in moving the "Cavern" ..the weight would be aprox. 130 lbs. and the cost would be around $250.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:22 PM   #14
greenbirds
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompbox View Post
I love the idea of stainless growlers, but I don't know why the manufacturers have not taken it a step further and put a ball-lock gas in post on it so you can pressurize it.

I understand from the description that you can prime these which is great unless you do not plan on drinking the whole growler in one sitting.
This.

If anyone implements this, I am all over it. Yes, you can replace the cap on a growler after pouring a pint, but there are 2 issues: air has to replace the volume once occupied by beer, which oxidizes the beer over the next day or two. And second, CO2 that is in solution in the beer migrates to the headspace to equilibrate the pressure in the vessel, which causes the beer to go flat, and gets worse with each subsequent uncapping.

A gas-in post would be an incredible add-on. After pouring, recap and pressurize, crack the cap once to purge out the CO2/air mix, then recap and pressurize once more - you're done.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #15
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbirds View Post
This.

If anyone implements this, I am all over it. Yes, you can replace the cap on a growler after pouring a pint, but there are 2 issues: air has to replace the volume once occupied by beer, which oxidizes the beer over the next day or two. And second, CO2 that is in solution in the beer migrates to the headspace to equilibrate the pressure in the vessel, which causes the beer to go flat, and gets worse with each subsequent uncapping.

A gas-in post would be an incredible add-on. After pouring, recap and pressurize, crack the cap once to purge out the CO2/air mix, then recap and pressurize once more - you're done.
Also would be a great way to quickly carb up a smaller volume of beer for testing/tasting purposes. If I had a nickel for how many times I’ve had someone over and they asked “Hey do you have any (Stout/IPA/insert brew here) on tap?” and I have to reply with, “No, not yet but it’s in the fermenter waiting for space in the kegerator”.

I’d have a dollar or so.

I have a carbonator cap but I don’t seem to use it for anything other than making root beer or other sodas.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 12-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #16
ArcticBear
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 5

awesome ideas and designs, just too pricey for my tastes.

its hard for me to justify a $185 carboy with a smaller opening than a $25 plastic 7 gallon bucket. I know the stainless carboy will last a lot longer, but i can get a lot of buckets out of $185 (7 and have change to be exact)

goodluck with the business, like i said this is an awesome idea and cool design. i would entertain the thought of a growler in the future, but between the bottles and the carboys, its a little above my budget.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #17
DeepWoodBrew
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbirds View Post
This.

WE have had alot of request for a gas in post..and will be selling this as an option for those who do want to pressurize for carbonation and/or to keep their brew lasting longer once opened. We appreciate everyones feedback..

Old 12-11-2012, 10:27 PM   #18
tagz
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Nice designs. I hope you guys do well.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:30 PM   #19
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4635 Times on 3366 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepWoodBrew View Post
WE have had alot of request for a gas in post..and will be selling this as an option for those who do want to pressurize for carbonation and/or to keep their brew lasting longer once opened. We appreciate everyones feedback..
Oh, I want that! Really bad! I'm either using glass (no carb cap) or plastic soda bottles (tacky). A stainless growler, with a "gas in" ball lock post is something I really need. I can't wait!
LabRatBrewer Likes This 
Old 12-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #20
zazbnf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepWoodBrew View Post
Any thoughts on if you will make this available to just buy a new cap with a gas post installed? Would like the option to have it either way. I was considering seeing if I could buy an extra cap to install my own gas post, but if it were available and reasonable.....

Quick Reply