Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Sponsor Showcase > Sponsor Showcase > Electric Element in Cooler HLT

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2014, 04:41 PM   #1
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 942 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default Electric Element in Cooler HLT

Since we launched our element enclosures last year, several people asked if they could use them on igloo coolers when making an HLT. The answer was always, yes, in theory. I finally got my hands on a junk cooler for test fitting all kinds of things and gave it a go. Now the answer is definitely yes, the EWL3 enclosure works great on a cooler. There are other less expensive DIY ways of doing this, but the one flaw that I haven't seen solved is how you bond earth ground to the water inside. When you ground to the lug inside our metal enclosure, it is transferred to the hex bushing on the element and therefore into the water. The install is pretty easy.
Drill a 1/4" pilot hole through both the outer and inner walls 2" up from the outside bottom. Use a 2" hole saw to drill through the outer wall and some of the insulation (pick the rest of the insulation out of the area with a screw driver. Drill through the inner wall with a 1-1/4" hole saw or forsner bit. Teflon tape the threads on the element and with the enclosure cap in place on the element, insert through the hole in cooler. Push the silicone oring onto the threads from inside the cooler and thread the 1" locknut on. Tighten everything by turning the hex on the element while holding the inside locknut still. Wire it up and screw the enclosure into the cap. This confirmation completes everything needed to build an electric HLT with drain, diptube, thermowell (or probe compression fitting), and sight glass.

coolerelement1.jpg   coolerelement2.jpg  
Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2014, 04:26 PM   #2
scsjohn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Thanks

this is awesome. I've asked about this before and people have mostly stated that this is a bad idea. I'm glad it works!!!

Old 03-29-2014, 12:36 AM   #3
zzzzzzzzz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I'd love to have you build a 5500 watt heat stick to be used in HLT/MT/Brew kettle. I now have abundant solar and is basically free to me now.... Think you'll ever get on that?
Thanks, zzzzzzzzz

On Deck : July 7-8-9th 5 gals each for my new keezer and following week a mead and chardonnay for my new 2 tap Kegerator.

my Canadian Stout v1 (for comparison)
Canadian Stout v4 (black pearl variation) still trying to emulate v1 more cheaply
simple blonde v1
My (S)wheat heart V1
Girl named Ginger v2 (ginger beer)
brew of unknown style

On tap: NONE new keezer build took too long!

Old 03-29-2014, 01:48 AM   #4
theonetrueruss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 24 Posts

I would like to remind people to NOT make an electrical igloo boil kettle. I have no proof but I do suggest that the plastic may not be safe at those temperatures. Handling the temps of a mash or HLT is much different than boiling for an hour. Nich item though.. Definitely on my list for my next version of my HLT... a couple years off though... SWMBO would start to have a point if I rebuilt my eHLT this year after just building it last year. lol.. besides a conical is next.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:58 AM   #5
CUrchin
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Do you think the heat will cause the inner wall around the element to flex and ultimately leak? I just have a hard time with the concept of mounting something that gets that hot to plastic, but then again I have no experience in such matters either.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:13 AM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 942 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzzzzzzz View Post
I'd love to have you build a 5500 watt heat stick to be used in HLT/MT/Brew kettle. I now have abundant solar and is basically free to me now.... Think you'll ever get on that?
Thanks, zzzzzzzzz
Yes, I have four prototype heat stick units in production right now. I should have them in a few weeks. I have a couple design details to work out, mostly related to clipping it to the pot for stability, but it should be pretty sweet.
Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?
People Like This 

Tags
cooler, electric, element, hlt, igloo

Quick Reply