New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Sponsor Showcase > Sponsor Showcase > Dry Hopper on sale NOW!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #81
neckbeardbeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Still loving this thing but if you guys filter, take it out before you run through it. I learned not to leave it in there the hard way. Gotta let the keg settle a little (about a day) then pull off the gunk first.

Primary - RR R2H56 Clone, Berliner Weisse (Classic Amurican Styles recipe)
Secondary - More Beer RR Consecration

On tap - Kern River Citra Clone, Golden Touch (Midas Touch Clone), Pebble Snatch'n Pilsner (Jamil's CAP)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2013, 02:34 AM   #82
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 21

FYI for those with the dry hopper who use whole leaf hops. Today I improvised a weigh boat/hop loader. I took the dry hopper lid and clamp and wrapped some butcher paper around the lid to make a tube. then weighed out the hops an loaded it right in the dry hopper with out spillin any hops.
img_2534.jpg

img_2535.jpg

img_2536.jpg

img_2537.jpg

Old 07-10-2013, 07:42 AM   #83
raindogxx

Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Default User Feedback?

Now that this has been out a while, what experiences have users had?

It looks like an excellent product but I'm seeing some mixed reviews regarding pellet hop use. Is the mesh size small enough? Anyone experiencing hop particles getting out of the hopper? If so, does it seem to be due to disturbing the hopper / keg during dry hopping?

I'd really appreciate any other feedback or suggestions.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:56 PM   #84
mrkrispy
Recipes 

I'd like to get some updated feedback on this also. Interested but kind of concerned about the loose mesh at the top wearing out/fraying quickly as well as the ability to screen pellet hops. I would likely push to a serving keg with gelatin so it may not be an issue.

Thanks

Old 09-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #85
mors
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 73

I have one and I really like it. Even with pellet hops hardly any get through the screen during the dry hop. For reference my last use of it was for 4oz dry hop citra pellets for 3 days... pulled & discarded then 4.5oz citra dry hop again for 4 days. I had to dump maybe 1 pint of beer (in 4 1/4 pint pulls. I would pull 1/4 pint... shake the keg...let it settle... pull again)

My 1 complaint. The lid is a total pain in the ass. The worm clamp is a pain. Getting the lid in position is a pain. The lid traps air in it. There is another vendor (local to me and on HBT that I won't name) that has an improved design. The lid is threaded on and has perforations in the top to allow air to escape. Don't get me wrong I'm not buying their because this is what I got and it works.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #86
greenbirds
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'll offer up my review. The first time I used this, I dry hopped with pellets for a few days, lifted it out of the beer, put the lid back on, carbed up the keg, then served from it a few days later. There was some fine hop sediment in the beer, and for whatever reason, it did not clear up after pouring multiple pints. I think I was still getting fine sediment all the way to the last pour. My theory is there was just enough turbulence each time beer rushed up the dip tube, that it picked up a scattering of pellet debris in the 1/4" between the dip tube and bottom center of the keg, but never enough to completely clear out the debris.

So next time I got out my Dremel and cut an inch off the keg's dip tube. I filled the dry hopper, dropped it in in a sanitized keg, and racked from the carboy into the keg. No more sediment.

I have not noticed air getting trapped in the lid, thanks to the 1/8" vent hole drilled at the apex of the dome.

I really like being able to agitate the keg periodically to resuspend the dry hops, without worrying about the bulk of the pellet debris escaping the dry hopper. I could just pop the keg in the keezer and serve from it, but I like to get the beer off the hops, so I jumper the beer to a fresh keg. I do the first few oz from a picnic tap, just in case some of the pellet debris makes it out. Once it runs clear, I trade the picnic tap for the jumper hose and push via CO2. I don't even hang the dry hopper when I do this; it just sits on the bottom of the keg, leaning on the dip tube. I lose about a pint at the bottom due to the shortened dip tube, a worthy trade-off IMO.

Just kegged an IIPA with 6 oz dry hop last night. No sediment at all, and I had been shaking the keg twice per day for 4 days.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:12 PM   #87
mors
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 73

I think the reason you keep getting hop material is because the hop material is sucked up only in the immediate vicinity of the dip tube. So if after you pull the dry hopper out you pull out a bit of beer (you'll notice when most the hops stop coming out of the tap). Then give it a shake to get those hop particulates off the bottom and let them resettle near the dip tube again... repeat a few times and you should have no more in 3-4 tries. I was one of the first ones though so maybe that was added later? Either way I have just been burping mine... seems to at least get most the air out... have not noticed oxidation as of yet from it. I'm just paranoid... adding a hole is a good idea... derp @ me for not thinking of that lol.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:40 PM   #88
mrkrispy
Recipes 

Thanks guys. I use dry hops properly (i.e. a ton in 5gal) so I was worried about it.
I will see how it goes with and without gelatin.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #89
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1658 Times on 1204 Posts
Likes Given: 941

I want one of these, but I'm not ready to drop the $$ on one just yet. Still have some Electric Brewery stuff to get in place.

But I DO have a small bit of SS mesh laying around, so I might try my hand at building one. I gotta laugh at myself because I know what to expect from the finished project. I won't be able to make a lid like that, but hopefully I can rig up something that works. I am pretty sure that the mesh size I have will be too coarse for pellets too.

I wish I had the stuff to build one as nice as this.

Today I look right down, right down to the ground, there's nothing in between to break by fall. I'm blue for you, and I don't know what to do.
mors Likes This 
Old 09-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #90
uright
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

This product will allow hop pellets to work their way through the screen. I pulled nearly 10 pints that all had loads of hop particulate. This is after cold crash/gelatin. There are a lot of great uses for this thing but dry hopping in the serving keg is going to required a shortened dip tube and a re-rack to get clear beer.

Quick Reply