The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Sponsor Showcase > Sponsor Showcase > ALL NEW Rebel Mill Grain Crusher now Available at Rebel Brewer

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2013, 06:30 PM   #421
dfc
Audio Engineer/Instructor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dfc's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 3,038
Liked 196 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuldTuborg View Post
It's too bad to hear about the problems with the mill. I guess I'm lucky to have one of the (relatively) few produced, and it's a wonderful product.
Seconded.
__________________

Kegged: Beer
Bottled: Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer.
Primary: Beer
Secondary: Beer

How to brew extract (with pictures!)

How to brew extract (Video)

Simple bottling process

dfc is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #422
cwheel
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 245
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Wasn't sure where else to post this, but was curious about the longevity of the rollers on this mill. I've probably run 30 five gallon batches through mine over the past year and a half or so, and my past few batches have had really bad efficiency (50-60%). I don't believe I've changed anything else in the process, and I've noticed that the crush definitely has a few whole kernels in it (although most of it still looks good). Has anyone else had to decrease the gap progressively as they go? Is that normal for a mill? Or should I look somewhere else? Thanks! (I've made a VERY small decrease in the gap over factory setting, but nothing major)

__________________
PRIMARY
Morrow's Maibock
Citra / Cascade IPA Test Batch #1
PLANNED
Imperial Red Ale
cwheel is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #423
bkl63
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Pennsville, New Jersey
Posts: 223
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default

You need to adjust the gap it seems to have moved a bit. My issue is that the bolts that hold the wood base on have come out and ended up in the mash never to be seen again. Luckily easily replaced. I've milled as much as you and my rollers still look like new.



Quote:
Originally Posted by cwheel View Post
Wasn't sure where else to post this, but was curious about the longevity of the rollers on this mill. I've probably run 30 five gallon batches through mine over the past year and a half or so, and my past few batches have had really bad efficiency (50-60%). I don't believe I've changed anything else in the process, and I've noticed that the crush definitely has a few whole kernels in it (although most of it still looks good). Has anyone else had to decrease the gap progressively as they go? Is that normal for a mill? Or should I look somewhere else? Thanks! (I've made a VERY small decrease in the gap over factory setting, but nothing major)
__________________
Always amazed at the helpfulness of those here at Home Brew Talk. Easily the best source for questions around making great beer!
Member of First State Brewers!
bkl63 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #424
mxpx5678
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Lathrop, Ca
Posts: 246
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkl63 View Post
You need to adjust the gap it seems to have moved a bit. My issue is that the bolts that hold the wood base on have come out and ended up in the mash never to be seen again. Luckily easily replaced. I've milled as much as you and my rollers still look like new.
Agree I would guess the gap has gotten larger over time.
__________________
mxpx5678 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 03:22 PM   #425
sctocinci
Junior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
sctocinci's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 73
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkl63 View Post
You need to adjust the gap it seems to have moved a bit. My issue is that the bolts that hold the wood base on have come out and ended up in the mash never to be seen again. Luckily easily replaced. I've milled as much as you and my rollers still look like new.
Mine too! Do you remember what size they are to replace them? I keep meaning to get a couple replacement bolts.
__________________

Kegerator Now Set Up!
Keg 1: Saison
Keg 2: EMPTY

sctocinci is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013, 11:37 PM   #426
bkl63
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Pennsville, New Jersey
Posts: 223
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default

They are Stainless 10-24 3/4" Socket Head Cap Screws. I also got Stainless washers and lock washers. Now have extra's in Brewing Box. Spent around 8.00 and have plenty of washers and lock washers to last for years. Got them at Lowe's.

Got (2) 3packs...

http://www.lowes.com/pd_214014-37672...ead+cap+screws



Quote:
Originally Posted by sctocinci View Post
Mine too! Do you remember what size they are to replace them? I keep meaning to get a couple replacement bolts.
__________________
Always amazed at the helpfulness of those here at Home Brew Talk. Easily the best source for questions around making great beer!
Member of First State Brewers!
bkl63 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 10:16 PM   #427
mxpx5678
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Lathrop, Ca
Posts: 246
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

What ever happened to this mill? It has been out of stock for a long time.

__________________
mxpx5678 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 10:42 PM   #428
pfgonzo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
pfgonzo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, California
Posts: 597
Liked 54 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Default

Gah, thread bumper got my hopes up!

They had issues with their supplier. Couldn't keep up with demand, or there was a continuing quality issue... I don't remember exactly. Rebel supposedly was looking for another manufacturer, but it's been over a year at this point.

__________________
pfgonzo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2014, 03:07 PM   #429
mxpx5678
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Lathrop, Ca
Posts: 246
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfgonzo View Post
Gah, thread bumper got my hopes up!

They had issues with their supplier. Couldn't keep up with demand, or there was a continuing quality issue... I don't remember exactly. Rebel supposedly was looking for another manufacturer, but it's been over a year at this point.
Yeah I was more hoping they would have found a new supplier at this point. It is a great mill and i want other people to be able to get them.
__________________
mxpx5678 is offline
dfc Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools