New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Sponsor Showcase > Sponsor Showcase > 6 Month Wyeast sale part Deux!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 05:31 PM   #21
klnosaj
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexBrewWares View Post
How long are you waiting? I have had them take 2.5 days before I had any noticeable signs of activity in a starter. Almost threw away a couple before I figured that out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
How are you making your starter?
With a stirplate you might not see anything, especially if the fermentation occurs overnight.
I did a step up starter on a stir plate and did not see any activity at all on the first 2 steps. After the third step, which showed some foaming, I cold crashed it to decant the liquid, I had a nice healthy layer of yeast.
The first one I started in 2L and waited 6 days before before dumping it. The second one I started in 500ml and waited three days before dumping.

Have either of you successfully propagated from one of these packs with the June production date?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 10:01 PM   #22
ApexBrewWares
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Absolutely. I have a 1010 am wheat and a 1968 ESB both made with a starter with no stir plate that are about 30 days or so into fermentation that I made out of that same batch of yeast. I still have some from the April batch that I use regularly too. No issues. Not sure why you would be having issues? I have been making a 1200ml starter with 4 oz DME. No issues at all.

Visit us at www.apexbrewwares.com
Facebook ApexBrewWares
Twitter @ApexBrewWaresBlog: http://apexbrewwares.wordpress.com/

Old 02-25-2012, 03:56 AM   #23
klnosaj
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexBrewWares View Post
Absolutely. I have a 1010 am wheat and a 1968 ESB both made with a starter with no stir plate that are about 30 days or so into fermentation that I made out of that same batch of yeast. I still have some from the April batch that I use regularly too. No issues. Not sure why you would be having issues? I have been making a 1200ml starter with 4 oz DME. No issues at all.
Alrighty then. I'll chalk it up to something I'm doing. Thanks again for the great deals.

Quick Reply