The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > ZOWIE, what an EXCITING hobby!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2009, 11:12 PM   #1
KDM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default ZOWIE, what an EXCITING hobby!!!

So I boiled my first wort a couple weeks ago, then transferred it to the fermentor and left it alone. But a week later, fairly spoiling for a little action -- ANY action -- I racked to secondary . . . and have been doing my utmost to totally disregard it ever since. It's just been sitting there in the dark pantry, not doing anything . . . anything at all. :::yawnnn::: Be ready to bottle in a week or two, I reckon. :::ZZZzzz::: Can't recall such action-packed adventure. :::crickets chirping:::

I'm afraid I'm going to become accustomed to the pace of this new hobby of mine, then take up vegetable gardening in the spring and get my eye put out by a sprouting green bean plant.

Cheers, Kurt

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2009, 11:19 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Actually it's only like this in the beginning, as you brew more than your first batch, you will have beers at various stages of the process, needing to be brewed, in primary, in secondary (if you use it) needing to be bottled, and bottle conditioning...there will come a time where you never will be without something of yours that is drinkable.

I have one I brewed yesterday, one I will bottle this weekend, another one that I will leave in primary for at least another week, I'm drinking one now (nearly finished with it), another two JUST came online to be drinkable, another 1 or 2 should be ready to drink in another week, and I'm pulling another half case out of long term storage, because it had an off flavor and I ignored it for 6 months, I just tasted one and it is gone...

And I plan on one more 2.5 gallon batch before I go back to work on monday...

Get the idea?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-01-2009, 11:29 PM   #3
KDM
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, I get the idea, thank you. In fact, this was just the sort of thing I was looking for, and even got a bonus: the off-taste that went away thing. Very cool!

Y' gotta understand, I'm all wound up over a new hobby/passion and feel a need to DO something, but I know better than to even think about rushing what I got. So abusing my bandwidth priviliges sprang to mind instead. I believe I'll go buy a kit and start a second brew tomorrow, and get the ol' pipeline one step closer to truly being a going concern.

Cheers, Kurt

Old 01-01-2009, 11:32 PM   #4
Shonuff
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post

Get the idea?

I get the idea. Revvy needs to have a party!

"Only water I serve has got barley and hops in it." - Lil

Join the #1 HBT group "Michigan Mashers"

Join the #2 HBT group "Pacific Northwest Brewers"

Old 01-01-2009, 11:37 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopsalong View Post
Yeah, I get the idea, thank you. In fact, this was just the sort of thing I was looking for, and even got a bonus: the off-taste that went away thing. Very cool!

Y' gotta understand, I'm all wound up over a new hobby/passion and feel a need to DO something, but I know better than to even think about rushing what I got. So abusing my bandwidth priviliges sprang to mind instead. I believe I'll go buy a kit and start a second brew tomorrow, and get the ol' pipeline one step closer to truly being a going concern.
The easiest answer is buy another bucket and brew again...that's how you get to that point...

As to the time improving with age, read this thread of mine...http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/neve...en-beer-73254/

My philosophy is that if a beer isn't "right" then set it aside for a couple more months and taste it again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonuff View Post
I get the idea. Revvy needs to have a party!
Although it is hard to get us all together, it would be fun to have a Michigan masher's tasting party sometime in the next couple months...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-01-2009, 11:43 PM   #6
shecky
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3488 Times on 3379 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You want excitement, take up sky diving. You want to craft pure beauty with your own hands and mind, brew.

I actually do find brewing quite exciting. But I'm old and sort of boring.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:48 PM   #7
KDM
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

As a matter of fact, I've been a good little boy and read all those threads we n00bs are admonished to read before posting. And I understand how forums like this work well enough to know why posting a new thread with "Question..." as a header is . . . dumb. Now, that's good for y'all, but bad for me. I have to scrape for excuses to post stuff and participate, as you see, since I'm too new to be of help, and too informed from doing my homework to ask questions.

So I abuse my bandwidth privileges...

Cheers, Kurt

Old 01-01-2009, 11:51 PM   #8
shecky
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3488 Times on 3379 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopsalong View Post
As a matter of fact, I've been a good little boy and read all those threads we n00bs are admonished to read before posting. And I understand how forums like this work well enough to know why posting a new thread with "Question..." as a header is . . . dumb. Now, that's good for y'all, but bad for me. I have to scrape for excuses to post stuff and participate, as you see, since I'm too new to be of help, and too informed from doing my homework to ask questions.

So I abuse my bandwidth privileges...
I suggest you check out a history of my posts. I've abused bandwidth privileges to the point that they are a bloodied mess, barely breathing in the gutter as frigid temperatures descend.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:52 PM   #9
dwf137
Recipes 

brewing is great.

it cannot be my only hobby though. It's just something that takes up time between my other hobbies.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:55 PM   #10
reim0027
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

IMO, you are never too new to help. I have brewed 3 batches in total. But, each batch has taught me valuable information. That information I learned can be useful to others.

Also, IMO, if you haven't learned anything valuable while brewing (even your first batch), you aren't paying attention.

Just my .02

Quick Reply