The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Zero minute hop addition

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
pretzelb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Zero minute hop addition

When a recipe says to add hops at 0 minutes, does that mean you should be cooling your wort with your hops in it? I like using a hop bag so my normal procedure is to remove the hop bag when the boil is over and before I begin to cool. But I can't really do that if a recipe calls for hops at 0 minutes. So do I need to leave my hop bag in the kettle while I cool?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2010, 12:49 PM   #2
ksbrain
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don't use a hop bag, but I'd say yes, leave the hop bag in there while you cool.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:52 PM   #3
lurker18
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I don't use a hop bag, but if I were you I would add the hops right at the time you turn off the heat, and leave everything in until cool. I just toss everything in loose, let it boil away, and siphon the wort off the junk in the bottom after cooling.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:08 PM   #4
michiganbob
Recipes 

I do use hop bags (so much easier), and I leave all of them in the pot while it's cooling. I just take them out before I throw the wort into the bucket. Never had an issue before.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:17 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

It's also called the "flameout" addition. It is to add aroma to the wort. I never use hopbags anymore, just drop everything in. It will all settle out eventually.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-03-2010, 01:27 PM   #6
pretzelb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Maybe I will try without the hop bags in the future but for now it sounds like I should be leaving them in while cooling. I was taking them out after the boil because they seem to hold a ton of wort in them and I have to drain them before I take them out. I prefer to do this while hot since it involves some touching of the bag and the wort and I figured the risk of contamination was much less if I do it while hot.

I used to not use the bags but I got frustrated trying to filter the hop material out while siphoning into my carboy so I started using the bags. But maybe I need to rethink that someday.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:29 PM   #7
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

For maximum aroma, let cool to 180f or slightly below then add, leave then in for a good 30 minutes, chill as you normally would.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:33 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

wildwest450 - that will result in a different aroma profile than intended by the recipe writer.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-04-2010, 12:18 AM   #9
BackshoreJake
Recipes 

A few weeks ago I made a PA that called for a 0 min hop addition. All I did was add the appropriate amount of hops after I took my wart off the burner and placed it in the icebath. It usually takes about 30 minutes for my wart to cool to about 70*, so this is how long those hops end up in the wart.

So yeah, essentially cooling your wart with the additional hops is all that a 0 min hop addition means.

Primary: Cassi's Whit
Primary: Big Balls Chip IPA
Bottled (48 x 12oz): Abby's Raspbeirry Porter
Bottled (48 x 12oz): Partners In Crime IPA
Bottled (24 x 22oz): Klusster Hefeweizen
Bottled (24 x 22oz): BL Blonde Ale
Bottled (24 x 22 oz): Willamette Sparkling Apple Wine
Kegged (5 gal): Nada

Quick Reply