Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Zero Carbonation Help!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2011, 08:04 PM   #11
beerkrump
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Sorry, but, I just cracked my self up with the image of a guy shaking a beer bottle and hold it up to his head...

Please be careful.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2011, 08:08 PM   #12
ThatGuyRyan
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerkrump View Post
Sorry, but, I just cracked my self up with the image of a guy shaking a beer bottle and hold it up to his head...

Please be careful.

That’s when you call over the neighbor who loves to drink your beer but never brings any! Here hold this please!(Shake shake shake run and hide)

shat happens

Old 04-18-2011, 08:23 PM   #13
mr_bell
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

FWIW, I used Cooper's carb drops (1 per bottle) for the 1st time on my most recent (1st all grain batch, bottled 3/5) beer, being only a 1/2 batch (slightly less than 2.5 gal) and not wanting to bother with boiling the corn sugar solution. Once bottled I didn't touch them for 3 weeks. They carbed up perfectly. IMO, if the caps are good I think your beer just needs more time.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:55 PM   #14
GreenDragon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yeah I'm not too worried about the Coopers drops, they seem pretty tested and they already dissolved just fine. I'm more concerned about these new gold bottle caps.. they just don't look right. I even applied as much presser to the capper as I felt safe doing just to be safe when I didn't start seeing the familiar ring indention. Maybe there's a reason they are domed, but it's just different to me.

-------------------------------------------------
Keg 1 : Bee Cave's House Pale Ale
Keg 2 :
Fermenting: Irish Wee Heavy
On Deck: La Blue Girl Blueberry Wheat

Old 04-19-2011, 02:13 PM   #15
GreenDragon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So I got home last night and shook one. It didn't explode, I still have both my ears, and I didn't hear anything. I guess only time will tell. Just for paranoia sake I'm going to switch back to my normal caps when I bottle the IPA in my sig.

Keg 2 :

Old 04-19-2011, 02:45 PM   #16
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I'm going to say it again, because I don't think you're getting it...I doubt it's the cooper's carb tabs because folks use them all the time, and if they didn't work, they'd be out of the marketplace in a heartbeat...I don't think it's the gold caps, because folks use them all the time, and if they didn't work, they'd be out of the marketplace in a heartbeat..

It's...Because...It...hasn't...been....at...least. ....three.....weeks....yet....

We don't say this all the time because we're into f-ing with the newbs to make them wait, it's because on average it takes 3 weeks for a normal gravity beer to carb up when at 70 degrees.

Just because you're impatient, doesn't mean there's anything wrong, or you did anything wrong. It just means YOU'RE trying to be in charge, when it's not you who's running the show, but the yeast.

I love when impatient new brewers over-complicate a simple thing. You're looking to blame products that THOUSANDS of brewers use every day with no complaints.So how come YOU are the only brewer who's having problems with these products? Why is your beer terminally different from ANY OTHER brewer who uses those products?

Seriously, go look at the hundreds of thousands of other threads where an impatient brewer thinks something's wrong, and he comes back after it's been 3 weeks and his beer is fine.

You shook your bottle and nothing exploded? What does that mean? How does that tell you in a glass bottle whether you have carbonation or not? If your bottle explodes that means there's something wrong. You're not going to "see" if a beer is carbed or not...there's not a flag or color change that tells you that. All you can do is wait for the beer to carb.

It really is FOOLPROOF. You add sugar, you cap it, you stick it in a warm place and you WALK AWAY for at least 3 weeks.....You check a bottle, if it's ready it's ready, if not you come in another week or more....and eventually the bottles will be carbed.

It's not magic, it's not complicated, and it's not something that is hit or miss or faulty, if you've simply followed the same process that MILLIONS of brewers do EVERY DAY, and if you are patient.

But if it's not ready before 3 weeks, and MOST OF THE TIME IT WON'T BE....you don't declare that there is something wrong, and you don't try to fix something....You give it AT LEAST the time we recommend....if you jump the gun, and it's not ready, it's not the beer or the beer yeast's fault...they're doing their jobs.

It's your fault for being impatient.

Yeast can't read, so calenders and instructions, mean absolutely nothing to them. The have their own agenda, and it is usually different from ours....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-19-2011, 02:59 PM   #17
GreenDragon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My humor is obviously lost on some people. I didn't actually expect a bottle to explode. If I really thought it might explode I would have held it next to my wife's cat after shaking it. (Once again this is an attempt at humor, please don't call the aspca on me!)

I've already stated I trust the Coopers drops and my issue wasn't so much with the caps as it was the caps compatibility with my capper. As I didn't hear anything after shaking a bottle I'm assuming everything is fine. I won't know for another few weeks however so I will be playing it safe and switching back to my normal caps for the IPA.

Perhaps it's time you put down the coffee and RDWHAHB. This is the newb forums, newbs are going to ask newb type questions. If you don't like newb questions then maybe montior another forum instead. I was really just hoping someone would reply back "The gold caps don't make the ring indention but they work fine". Next time I'll try to be more specific.

Keg 2 :

Old 04-19-2011, 03:13 PM   #18
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDragon View Post
Perhaps it's time you put down the coffee and RDWHAHB. This is the newb forums, newbs are going to ask newb type questions. If you don't like newb questions then maybe montior another forum instead. I was really just hoping someone would reply back "The gold caps don't make the ring indention but they work fine". Next time I'll try to be more specific.
So you're PO-ed now because I'm telling you the same things that we repeat over and over in here, that works? That it hasn't been 3 weeks yet so you don't know anything is wrong????

I'm very relaxed...I'm trying to help you...

More than likely, since 99.9% if the time someone starts a thread like this, that after three weeks the beer turns out perfectly, you're is more than likely going to be fine to.

Do you know that half the brewers don't indent their caps at all? There's actually threads about it on here. And polls. You don't need to press down so far as to have rings, to have your beer carb up....I don't make indentation rings on my caps, gold or otherwise.....And my beers carb perfectly fine.

Putting dents on them is a choice, it's not the right or wrong way to do it. A tight seal is a tight seal, and if indenting them makes you feel better fine...but if it's not carbed in that time frame and you've done it, then what are you gonna blame? Something else that millions of other folks do all the time..

Right now you are looking for a ghost, that may or may not exist, because you haven't given the beer sufficient time yet to know if anything's wrong...It's simply not been enough time to KNOW if your beer's not carbed or not....

Sorry you don't like my answer...but it's the truth. You admitted you opened the beer after only a week....sorry but, that's not the timeframe that the yeast tend to work under. But that doesn't mean that they're doing anything wrong.

*shrug*

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-19-2011, 04:07 PM   #19
o4_srt
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
So you're PO-ed now because I'm telling you the same things that we repeat over and over in here, that works? That it hasn't been 3 weeks yet so you don't know anything is wrong????

I'm very relaxed...I'm trying to help you...

More than likely, since 99.9% if the time someone starts a thread like this, that after three weeks the beer turns out perfectly, you're is more than likely going to be fine to.

Do you know that half the brewers don't indent their caps at all? There's actually threads about it on here. And polls. You don't need to press down so far as to have rings, to have your beer carb up....I don't make indentation rings on my caps, gold or otherwise.....And my beers carb perfectly fine.

Putting dents on them is a choice, it's not the right or wrong way to do it. A tight seal is a tight seal, and if indenting them makes you feel better fine...but if it's not carbed in that time frame and you've done it, then what are you gonna blame? Something else that millions of other folks do all the time..

Right now you are looking for a ghost, that may or may not exist, because you haven't given the beer sufficient time yet to know if anything's wrong...It's simply not been enough time to KNOW if your beer's not carbed or not....

Sorry you don't like my answer...but it's the truth. You admitted you opened the beer after only a week....sorry but, that's not the timeframe that the yeast tend to work under. But that doesn't mean that they're doing anything wrong.

*shrug*

kinda surprised you didn't segue into a search button rant while you were at it

Conditioning: Muddy Paw Nut Brown Ale, Jump The Fence Independence Cream Ale

Old 04-19-2011, 04:12 PM   #20
Becks
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post