Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Zero Carbonation Help!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2011, 03:02 PM   #1
GreenDragon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Zero Carbonation Help!

So I bottled the Cooper's Wheat Beer kit in my sig the weekend before last. This past Saturday I pulled on for my 1-week sampling and drinking

ZERO carbination, none, nada, zilch (you get the point). Two things I did different this time:

1) Coopers carb drops: I did one per bottle like the instructions said to.
2) New gold caps. I think these may be by problem. You know how when you normally cap a beer it makes a little ring indention on the cap? Well these didn't, they stayed "dome" shaped. I have 2 or 3 that have the old style cap on them (I was using up the remainders). I'm gonna try one of them tonight.

Question: IF it is the caps can I put another coopers drop in and re-cap and be okay?

-------------------------------------------------
Keg 1 : Bee Cave Brewery Oktoberfest Ale
Keg 2 : Bee Cave Brewery Oktoberfest Ale
On Deck: Doppelbock for lent

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2011, 03:04 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4947 Times on 3584 Posts
Likes Given: 1000

It's been in the bottle about 10 days? What temperature are you storing them at?

I'd be concerned about adding more carb drops now- just in case the caps ARE sealed and it's just slow. You don't want bottle bombs!

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 04-18-2011, 03:06 PM   #3
o4_srt
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

I've never had a carbed beer at 1 week. 2 weeks there is usually some carb, 3 weeks it's usually fully carbed, for lighter styles anyway.

Conditioning: Muddy Paw Nut Brown Ale, Jump The Fence Independence Cream Ale

Old 04-18-2011, 03:53 PM   #4
GreenDragon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

hmm.. this is my first lighter style... I swear my stout and brown ales had some carbonation after a week though, but maybe I'm mistaken. We'll see how the 2 week test looks.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience."

If a beer isn't carbed by "x number of weeks" you just have to give them ore time. If you added your sugar, then the beer will carb up eventually, it's really a foolroof process. All beers will carb up eventually. A lot of new brewers think they have to "troubleshoot" a bottling issue, when there really is none, the beer knows how to carb itself. In fact if you run beersmiths carbing calculator, some lower grav beers don't even require additional sugar to reach their minimum level of carbonation. Just time.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-18-2011, 04:06 PM   #6
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I've never used the carb drops myself, but if it were my batch I would take each bottle and gently turn it end over end a few times, to make sure that the sugar in the carb drops was well mixed into the beer. Couldn't hurt (I did say gently, didn't I?).

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

Old 04-18-2011, 04:13 PM   #7
beerkrump
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

After a week there maybe a little carbonation, but there definitely should be some CO2 produced. Can you see a layer of yeast at the bottom of the bottle? If you think that you may have some suspect caps, give a beer a shake and see if you can hear any gas leaking from the seal.

Other than that, give them another week and check one. Patience is key, but there's nothing wrong with popping a beer open early to see what's going on.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:42 PM   #8
bensbrews
Recipes 

I have used those pills before but i never only used 1 pill, 3usually. Temperature does help the word is 75 F is the temperature you want while you are bottle conditioning. After it has reached the level of carbonation you like but them in that is 55 f

Old 04-18-2011, 06:40 PM   #9
GreenDragon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerkrump View Post
If you think that you may have some suspect caps, give a beer a shake and see if you can hear any gas leaking from the seal.
Now that's a good idea! One beer being shaken for some peace of mind is worth it I think.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:58 PM   #10
ThatGuyRyan
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would just give the bottles a easy upside down and back to mix the sugar back up and then put somewhere warmer for a while. Adding more tabs would be a last resort. And just a heads up I tried opening a bottle that didn’t carb properly and once I dropped that tab it went volcano on me. Lost a good 1/3 of the bottle on everyone I tried to add another drop.

As for bens post, 1 Coopers drop is fine for 12oz normal gravity. Those other white crappy pills on the other hand take 3 or so per bottle. But they are horrible unless you like chunky beer.

shat happens

Quick Reply