The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > You're gunna kill me- "No Airlock Bubbling"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2008, 03:32 PM   #11
eddie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Why don't you just pull the airlock, dump the star-san and replace it with water or vodka? The pressure inside the fermenter isn't going to allow anything in within the short time the airlock would be off to do this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2008, 06:29 PM   #12
BearsWickedBrew
Recipes 

True..but I'm a little nervous I could end up w/ a grommet in my fermentor (tho it seems to happen to everyone) Right now..whenever the bubbles stop..I take off the top of the airlock.. pull out more sanitizer w/ a straw.and add a lil more vodka

Assume my airlock was jammed during the first 8 hours or so of fermentation. Do you think CO2 was still managing to escape into the airlock? If not, any idea if not enough C02 getting out can impact taste?....just curious

Old 09-01-2008, 06:51 PM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearsWickedBrew View Post
True..but I'm a little nervous I could end up w/ a grommet in my fermentor (tho it seems to happen to everyone) Right now..whenever the bubbles stop..I take off the top of the airlock.. pull out more sanitizer w/ a straw.and add a lil more vodka

Assume my airlock was jammed during the first 8 hours or so of fermentation. Do you think CO2 was still managing to escape into the airlock? If not, any idea if not enough C02 getting out can impact taste?....just curious
No, there will be no change in flavor. The co2 is in the bucket or carboy, and it provides a "blanket" over the top of the beer to help protect it from oxygen (co2 is heavier than room air). It's fine. Don't worry. Maybe it is bubbling up from the fermenter and filling your airlock a little- that is why it is so full. Don't worry about it- just try to walk away and not think about it anymore!

Old 09-01-2008, 07:21 PM   #14
BearsWickedBrew
Recipes 

Thanks for the advice Yooper! ...Walking Away.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:32 PM   #15
fat x nub
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You need to chill...go get a hydrometer and take a reading in 4 days. Stop trying to fix something that isn't broken

Primary 1-This Bud's for you
Primary 2- Cream Ale
Secondary 1- Strong Scotch Ale
Secondary 2- empty
Bottled/Kegged- Centinneal Blonde, Apfelwein
Up Next- MyCastle (N.English Brown Ale), Hooch Pale Ale
Thinking About: Tripple Bock, Chocolate Stout, open to suggestions

"Every beer is a good beer if I can taste the brewer's intent"
-Jim Koch

Is this guy serious??:

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabeach1 View Post
so barley is a leaves of hops? or barley is a different plant? and blend with hops? I need that to be cleared thanks..

Old 09-01-2008, 11:00 PM   #16
emoutal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm guessing that there is a slight air leak somewhere that is causing this. The CO2 pressure is going to take the path of least resistance. It's quite possible that with the top on the airlock, there is slightly too much resistance and the pressure finds another way to exit. As soon as the top comes off, there is less resistance and the pressure will come out there, hence the bubbling.

Quick Reply