Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Your opinions on an extract beer, please?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2010, 01:53 AM   #1
Starderup
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Your opinions on an extract beer, please?

I got a notice yesterday about a competition that requires an entry by June 16. I have been brewing for many years, and recently got into all grain, but wanted to try for this.
I don't have the time to do a mash tonight, so decided to try to put together an extract brew. Style: Irish Red Ale. Here are the ingredients:
5 lbs Amber Muntons DME
1 lb Dark Muntons DME
1 oz Bullion at 60 minutes
1 oz Cascade at 15 minutes
5 grams of Irish Moss at 15 minutes
1 oz of Tettnang at 5 minutes
1 packet of Nottingham dry yeast pitched directly into the wort after chilling to 78 degrees.

Too late to change anything, but just wanted comments on what might be better. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2010, 01:55 AM   #2
demonrichie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i never had a red ale. are they usually low hopped? thats all i can notice that may be a problem but itd be perfect if youre going for a mildly hopped flavour

makng a site about homebrewing for fun you can check it out a hbhda.weebly.com . im still working on it and any tips are appreciated

Old 05-27-2010, 02:20 AM   #3
Starderup
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrichie View Post
i never had a red ale. are they usually low hopped? thats all i can notice that may be a problem but itd be perfect if youre going for a mildly hopped flavour
Yeah, according to the BJCP guidelines, this recipe will conform, but it is pretty close to the top end on OG, IBUs, and just about everything. That's how I am, though. I don't appreciate 'careful' beers.
Go for the gusto, baby.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:23 AM   #4
demonrichie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

so bjcp would concider that high hopped for a red ale? maybe im a hophead but that seems a little mild either that or bullion(which im not sure on for ibus) is really hoppy

makng a site about homebrewing for fun you can check it out a hbhda.weebly.com . im still working on it and any tips are appreciated

Old 05-27-2010, 02:24 AM   #5
marubozo
I can has homebrew?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5368 Times on 5227 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Sounds like it would taste pretty good for the style. My only question is why pitch the yeast so high? I like my Notty pitched at 60-62 and fermenting around 65. Super crisp, clean, and neutral. Seems that would fit the style better since it calls for no esters.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:27 AM   #6
Starderup
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
so bjcp would concider that high hopped for a red ale? maybe im a hophead but that seems a little mild either that or bullion(which im not sure on for ibus) is really hoppy
Not really high, but at the top end of the range. I'm a hophead. What can I say?

Old 05-27-2010, 02:29 AM   #7
Starderup
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
Sounds like it would taste pretty good for the style. My only question is why pitch the yeast so high? I like my Notty pitched at 60-62 and fermenting around 65. Super crisp, clean, and neutral. Seems that would fit the style better since it calls for no esters.
I pitch it at the temp it is going to ferment, which is the corner of my kitchen, until I hit the lottery, or I get some major concessions from my CFO (wife).

Old 05-27-2010, 02:30 AM   #8
demonrichie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starderup View Post
Not really high, but at the top end of the range. I'm a hophead. What can I say?
thanks for clarifying that for me. sounds like it could make an tasty beer though

Old 05-27-2010, 02:35 AM   #9
Starderup
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
thanks for clarifying that for me. sounds like it could make an tasty beer though
It really looked great cooking up and in the fermenter. I think so too. I'm starting to be a little more careful documenting the processes, because I want to reproduce the better ones, and lose the rest!

Quick Reply