Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Are You Saving Money?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2011, 10:14 PM   #61
TXCrash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 2682 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Hell no I'm not saving money!

Sure, the ingredients are cheap but with what I spend (time and money) on equipment...

Then again, I enjoy brewing and can blow a day for $30 or less in ingredients and propane...

Are you just bored and wanted something, anything to type?-IrregularPulse

I will just push my son to have kids at 15. Then I will see the grandkids longer.-AMonkey
IP's wife's boobs weigh more than my wife.-Randar
My wife has the coordination of a drunk two legged spider.-Zuljin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 10:19 PM   #62
rycov
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 6

yeah. as far as hobbies go, it can (stress can) be relativly cheap. but i don't know that its saving you money. unless your saving money by combining beer drinking and having a weekend hobby. (so your paying for both a hobby and your beer at the same time)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsweet View Post
I would make a yeast starter, and pitch it into your mailbox.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:36 PM   #63
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Here in nebraska there is no bottle deposit. But I've spent $11 for a 4-pack of Tank 7...and that's far from spendy.

I don't brew to save...but its a nice benefit when my brew comes out cheaper than a commercial craft beer alternative.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 03-10-2011, 10:36 PM   #64
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

*Laughs uproarioulsy* Ah, the naieviity of the new brewer...

I probably spend MORE on commercial micros of an expensive nature since I started homebrewing....it's called research.

Especially hanging out on here, you read about so many interesting beers that you just have to try. You want to brew a new style, so you have to try a bunch of different versions. You want to make a clone of something so you have to keep buying to try to nail it. You have a full pipeling, with 3-4 beers drinkable, but you just happen to be in the mood for a double chocolate bourbon jalapeno porter, so you drop 12 bucls for a bomber of it.

When you start brewing your beery horizons broaden so much, you really can't escape buying beer.

(Heck, I'm getting a feel for the bock style of beer, and looking at brewing one, in one weeks I bought 3 different sixers of it, one of them was 14.00 for the six- Bell's Celebrator Dopplebock.)

Not too mention new shiny brewing toys, ingredients, yeasts, books, magazines, and whatever else I can do it.

You can't escape it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-10-2011, 10:51 PM   #65
mikemoss
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrdnck View Post
I think I have to replace my hydrometer about every 3 batches on average...
Why? Do they go bad?

I still haven't bought one yet. I think that I will buy one on my next purchase from Northern Brewer though.

The reason I got into home brewing was to save money. I am fairly confident that I save quite a bit of money. For me to buy the same amount of beer in six packs as I make in one batch would cost close to 90 dollars. And if I just buy one kit, and have to pay shipping, I get that much beer for around $30. If I buy multiple kits at once it gets even cheaper. Also soon I plan on moving to all grain using BIAB in order to save even more money.

Also you can get brewing equipment for cheap if you are trying to save money. I just found a second fermenter for free. You just have to look around and re-purpose stuff. The one big investment I had to make in my brewery was the burner and I got that using a gift card.

Last edited by mikemoss; 03-10-2011 at 10:58 PM.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:52 PM   #66
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemoss View Post
Why? Do they go bad?

I still haven't bought one yet. Maybe you could sell me one you dont use anymore on the cheap.
They don't go bad...they get broken...

I don't think you want to buy his used ones.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-10-2011, 11:11 PM   #67
GeoGirl
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post

(Heck, I'm getting a feel for the bock style of beer, and looking at brewing one, in one weeks I bought 3 different sixers of it, one of them was 14.00 for the six- Bell's Celebrator Dopplebock.)
Not only is it research you are performing but you are also gathering your bottles - double duty there

Old 03-10-2011, 11:13 PM   #68
brewit2it
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneb View Post
I haven't actually brewed yet since I am waiting on my new equipment to arrive. However, going by the set up I am buying, I figured that I'm looking at about 6 - 7 dollars a bottle on my very first brew (That's including all of the equipment and ingredients). Comparable beers in this area are around 4 to 5 dollars a bottle except at Wolf Hills Brewery, where I can get a growler of great beer filled for 10 - 15 dollars.

Any beer after this initial brew will run me somewhere in the vicinity of 1 dollar a bottle so I consider that to be saving money over time since I only have to buy the equipment once. A 5 gallon set up will be perfectly fine for me indefinitely so I won't be making any huge upgrades until I go all grain and even then I have made purchases early on to facilitate that so that I will need fewer new pieces of equipment in the future.

I'm sure I have lovingly flawed my logic in there somewhere, but it makes me feel better for dropping so much cash on a brewing set up.

I thought this was the funniest reply so far. Ahh..grasshopper, to think you are done buying equipment before making your first batch.

Just today during this thread it has become painfully obvious to me I NEED a 3 gallon Carboy, a 3 gallon keg, another perlick faucet, tubing, upgraded regulator, and then I really should have a larger CO2 tank with the extra keg. I could use a new scale, actually I need it, and I've been wanting some new pilsner glasses.....

Trust me, the sooner you accept that it never ends the sooner you will find inner peace

See my cheap new Keezer Build Here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/chea...keezer-224848/

Primary: 2 Row IPA
Second Primary: Kolsch-like ale

Keg 1: Blur Moon
Keg 2: Empty
Keg 3: Empty

Bottled: None

Old 03-10-2011, 11:20 PM   #69
rycov
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 6

i need: more corny's and more faucets. one of those diy deals where you have the pvc hoop with the paint bag attatched and the four rods comeing out so you can throw hops in the boil and take them out at the end. a ferm chamber (this will be next). a larger mashtun and boil kettle. more fermenters. and probably a ton of other stuff i can't think of. not to mention the excuse "i just need to try this because i want to brew it" i don't think i'm saving any money

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsweet View Post
I would make a yeast starter, and pitch it into your mailbox.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:09 AM   #70
certaut
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

doing something you enjoy, with all you can drink ,,, is priceless

the brewer makes the beer, not the equipment
let the beer tell you when it is finished

Quick Reply