New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Are You Saving Money?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #1
IanC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Are You Saving Money?

The thing I like best about this hobby is the pride of ownership you get when you produce a damn good beer from your own efforts. However, a close second for me is the fact that I’m making my own damn good beer AND saving a boat load of money in the process.

Surprisingly though, I’m reading in some posts here that some people don’t experience the same cost savings when making their own beer. Where I live, 12 beers at the liquor store costs $22-25, plus bottle deposit and taxes. With my current meagre setup, I can make about 66 bottles for that price. What I’m wondering is, just how cheap/expensive is beer where you live?

Primary: Strathcona Pale Ale
Secondary: Wheat Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I don't buy beer by the 12 pack anymore unless I'm going to a BBQ or something...then I'll pick up keystone. I buy almost everything by the bottle or by the six pack. I frequently spend $10-15 for a six pack. I'm making cheaper beer, but I'm not saving money. The money I have save drinking homebrew, I put back into more expensive, collectible type beers. I frequently spend $10-20 on a single bottle of beer, and I've even spent $120 for a 12oz. bottle before. Insane...I know.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 03-10-2011, 01:10 PM   #3
IanC
Recipes 

$120 a bottle???! Yikes! I sure hope you liked it!

Old 03-10-2011, 01:16 PM   #4
Lodovico
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I think if you get REALLY into home brewing which many of us do, it's pretty hard to argue that you're saving money. I brew because I love good beer and I love the creative aspects of it. If you go all grain and you were to add up all of the costs of water,electricity,propane,equipment,CO2,(you get the point)- at the end of the day, I think it's hard to argue that you're saving much money.

But hey, it's a hell of a fun hobby. My wife stopped buying the "honey I'm saving money" argument a long time ago.

On Draft: Mild
On Draft: IPA
On Draft: Belgian Pale Ale
In Bottle: Brett Porter
In Bottle: Flanders Red
In Bottle: Oud Bruin
Fermentor: Biere De Garde
Fermentor: Belgian Amber Ale

Old 03-10-2011, 01:17 PM   #5
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Yeah im spending probably $10 a six pack for decent beer and also buy alot of single 16-24oz bottles that will be $5-20..I certainly dont buy as much beer as I used to but I just upgraded to 15 gallon batches so it will take alot of brewing before the low cost of homebrew out weights the few hundred I spent on converting to 15 gallon batchs.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:17 PM   #6
FromZwolle
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

if you factor in the type of beers that i'm brewing, then yes i do save some money. Craft beer has gone down in price and the selection has increased over the past year or two where i'm at. So, for an average of $12 per six pack, or $96 per batch. My homebrew batches (thanks to bulk grain and cheap hops) is around $15-25 for the same quantity.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:19 PM   #7
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1658 Times on 1204 Posts
Likes Given: 941

I am spending about 1/3 for the beer I make compared to the craft beer that is comparable. But I do not factor in the cost of equipment. I like to build stuff and after mash tun, crusher, fridges, kegerator, kegging stuff, etc. It adds up.

Just bought a little freezer on CL to replace the upright for our frozen food. Upright is going to garage to ferment in...

Old 03-10-2011, 01:22 PM   #8
IanC
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
I am spending about 1/3 for the beer I make compared to the craft beer that is comparable. But I do not factor in the cost of equipment. I like to build stuff and after mash tun, crusher, fridges, kegerator, kegging stuff, etc. It adds up.

Just bought a little freezer on CL to replace the upright for our frozen food. Upright is going to garage to ferment in...
For sure the 'tinkering' factor can really add up, but I'd be spending that money on some other project to amuse myself if I wasn't brewing

Old 03-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #9
Jsmith82
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 25

It evens out for me. Buying beer, I usually go by the sixer and a single brand decent sixer runs me 8-12 dollars. There are a couple of liquor stores in the area that sell by the bottle and roll mixer sixers, those are usually 2-4 bucks a beer unless you're getting into the rare and high gravity types or 22oz bombers.

Overall, I feel its a very fair push money wise, but by brewing at home I gained a great hobby, an experience I share now with my wife and our friends, and that is priceless.

BUT....

The only exception I see to this "fair push" would be our 120min IPA clone. The grain bill on our 2.5ish gallon batch was a little over 70 bucks, this producing around 25 12oz beers at its end (22 may be more realistic, there is a TON of trub). Looking at the average price for this per 12oz beer in the store, 8-13 dollars a piece, we'll say 10 for a fair center, our 70 bucks brewed us 250 dollars worth if we were to buy it by the bottle when it's available.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:36 PM   #10
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 16

If you compare the cost per batch, then I'm saving a lot of money compared to purchasing beer.

That doesn't include all the equipment I've bought for the hobby. But at a certain point, the savings will pay for all of the equipment. I don't feel like calculating when.

Quick Reply