Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > You do not want to let the nylon grain bags catch fire

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
woozy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,283
Liked 128 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default You do not want to let the nylon grain bags catch fire

... and if they do, you do not want to beat the flames out with your bare hands.

__________________

Once it's determined that Bob's Net Works makes fishing equipment there's really no point discussing why nylon woven rope is not a good choice for the router and server needs of your online presence.

woozy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
HopHoarder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: East of Vancouver, British Columbia
Posts: 219
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default

Kinda goes without sayin'

__________________

In Secondary:Rakau/ Kohatu (Kohatu-Jak) IPA
In Secondary: Flanders Reds
[B]Chocolate Pecan Pumpkin Porter[B]

Recently Bottled:
Comet/ Belma IPA
TatFug IPA
HopHoarder is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
NivekD
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
NivekD's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: West Jordan, Utah
Posts: 664
Liked 99 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default

Noooooo...molten nylon on skin...ouch!

__________________
Bottled: Mexican Cerveza, Irish Stout, some Blue Moon clone, Pepper Ale, Full Hard Lemonade, Russian Imperial Stout, My first attempt at Mead (JAOM), Black Pearl Porter
Kegged: Blue Moon clone, Irish Red Ale
On Deck: Citra Hop Bomb (small batch) and Cream of Three Crops

_______________________________________________

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
NivekD is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
b-boy
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
 
b-boy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: GETZVILLE, NY
Posts: 2,335
Liked 401 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Default

Hmm...Is this recommendation based on some sort of recent personal experience?

__________________

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

b-boy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 05:30 PM   #5
DrunkleJon
I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
DrunkleJon's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Alexandria, Virginia
Posts: 4,266
Liked 993 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 503

Default

I will agree. Flaming plastic on bare skin hurts. I was one of those kids that took a few life experience lessons before learning that one. And it is funny how panic can make you forget them rather quick-like

__________________
DrunkleJon is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #6
woozy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,283
Liked 128 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-boy View Post
Hmm...Is this recommendation based on some sort of recent personal experience?
No, I was just sitting around looking at the birds and had the thought that, gee, I bet most home-brewers might be hoping to catch their nylon bags on fire and think it'd be fun wrap the flaming plastic tendrils around their palms, wrists, and fingers. I thought about and realized that'd probably be a bad idea and figured I should disabuse folks of the notion.
__________________

Once it's determined that Bob's Net Works makes fishing equipment there's really no point discussing why nylon woven rope is not a good choice for the router and server needs of your online presence.

woozy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 11:05 PM   #7
b-boy
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
 
b-boy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: GETZVILLE, NY
Posts: 2,335
Liked 401 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozy View Post
No, I was just sitting around looking at the birds and had the thought that, gee, I bet most home-brewers might be hoping to catch their nylon bags on fire and think it'd be fun wrap the flaming plastic tendrils around their palms, wrists, and fingers. I thought about and realized that'd probably be a bad idea and figured I should disabuse folks of the notion.
Actually I was giving you an opening to supply a little more detail. It sounded like there night be a humorous story there....
__________________

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

b-boy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 11:16 PM   #8
woozy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,283
Liked 128 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

It's not a humorous story. It's just irritating. I had 4 oz. of 2-row left over for quite a while so I thought I'd practice mashing on a micro-level in a sauce pan and *nothing* went right. The mashing temperature ranged from 132- 185, the bag kept singing on the burner, my thermometer was slow to respond so that by the time I noticed it was creeping upward and I'd cut the heat it'd countinue to climb. Then and the very end as I'm mashing out the entire bag catches on fire I don't really have any means to put it out. Most land on my stove top which was fine; i just let it burn itself out. But a few flames, about to match sticks worth find their way to my counter and some paper towels soaked with olive oil. That's not good so I try to stamp and crush them out much as I would a matchstick but, of course the nylon has melted in pure fuel and the whole thing is burning hotter than I expected. I got it out but not before getting burning plastic across a few fingers. Very small area of burn but a bit intense. I have a very small blister but other wise unscathed. It was just an irritating end to a thouroughly irritating procedure.

__________________

Once it's determined that Bob's Net Works makes fishing equipment there's really no point discussing why nylon woven rope is not a good choice for the router and server needs of your online presence.

woozy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 11:23 PM   #9
liquiditynerd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 600
Liked 78 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozy
It's not a humorous story. It's just irritating. I had 4 oz. of 2-row left over for quite a while so I thought I'd practice mashing on a micro-level in a sauce pan and *nothing* went right. The mashing temperature ranged from 132- 185, the bag kept singing on the burner, my thermometer was slow to respond so that by the time I noticed it was creeping upward and I'd cut the heat it'd countinue to climb. Then and the very end as I'm mashing out the entire bag catches on fire I don't really have any means to put it out. Most land on my stove top which was fine; i just let it burn itself out. But a few flames, about to match sticks worth find their way to my counter and some paper towels soaked with olive oil. That's not good so I try to stamp and crush them out much as I would a matchstick but, of course the nylon has melted in pure fuel and the whole thing is burning hotter than I expected. I got it out but not before getting burning plastic across a few fingers. Very small area of burn but a bit intense. I have a very small blister but other wise unscathed. It was just an irritating end to a thouroughly irritating procedure.
Ahhh. Hind sight. Mine was pouring boiling water into a barrel bung hole with a funnel. The displacement of expanding air when put into rapid contact with boiling water through a small opening results if blistered forearms and a rather wet outside of the barrel. I got gangsta brewer scars. Yo
__________________

....just add water.....

liquiditynerd is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 12:00 AM   #10
25518
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 428
Liked 30 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I burnt 2 hop socks to the bottom of my kettle. About as far as I got to really burn anything. They burnt. But, no real danger, just panick.

__________________
25518 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
muslin bags vs nylon bags jaycount Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 26 11-18-2013 01:25 PM
Nylon bags & elements Tubba Electric Brewing 5 08-20-2012 06:52 PM
Double check before I catch something on fire. dukesbb37 DIY Projects 10 01-29-2012 09:15 PM
Will foil catch on fire?? BrooZer General Techniques 13 02-20-2008 02:56 PM
Empty Nylon Grain bags zoebisch01 General Chit Chat 2 04-18-2007 03:26 PM