Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > You do not want to let the nylon grain bags catch fire

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
woozy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default You do not want to let the nylon grain bags catch fire

... and if they do, you do not want to beat the flames out with your bare hands.

Once it's determined that Bob's Net Works makes fishing equipment there's really no point discussing why nylon woven rope is not a good choice for the router and server needs of your online presence.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
HopHoarder
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Kinda goes without sayin'

In Secondary:Rakau/ Kohatu (Kohatu-Jak) IPA
In Secondary: Flanders Reds
[B]Chocolate Pecan Pumpkin Porter[B]

Recently Bottled:
Comet/ Belma IPA
TatFug IPA

Old 05-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
NivekD
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Noooooo...molten nylon on skin...ouch!

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
b-boy
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 401 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Hmm...Is this recommendation based on some sort of recent personal experience?

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:30 PM   #5
DrunkleJon
I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 993 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 503

I will agree. Flaming plastic on bare skin hurts. I was one of those kids that took a few life experience lessons before learning that one. And it is funny how panic can make you forget them rather quick-like

Old 05-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #6
woozy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-boy View Post
Hmm...Is this recommendation based on some sort of recent personal experience?
No, I was just sitting around looking at the birds and had the thought that, gee, I bet most home-brewers might be hoping to catch their nylon bags on fire and think it'd be fun wrap the flaming plastic tendrils around their palms, wrists, and fingers. I thought about and realized that'd probably be a bad idea and figured I should disabuse folks of the notion.

Once it's determined that Bob's Net Works makes fishing equipment there's really no point discussing why nylon woven rope is not a good choice for the router and server needs of your online presence.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:05 PM   #7
b-boy
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 401 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozy View Post
No, I was just sitting around looking at the birds and had the thought that, gee, I bet most home-brewers might be hoping to catch their nylon bags on fire and think it'd be fun wrap the flaming plastic tendrils around their palms, wrists, and fingers. I thought about and realized that'd probably be a bad idea and figured I should disabuse folks of the notion.
Actually I was giving you an opening to supply a little more detail. It sounded like there night be a humorous story there....

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:16 PM   #8
woozy
Recipes 

It's not a humorous story. It's just irritating. I had 4 oz. of 2-row left over for quite a while so I thought I'd practice mashing on a micro-level in a sauce pan and *nothing* went right. The mashing temperature ranged from 132- 185, the bag kept singing on the burner, my thermometer was slow to respond so that by the time I noticed it was creeping upward and I'd cut the heat it'd countinue to climb. Then and the very end as I'm mashing out the entire bag catches on fire I don't really have any means to put it out. Most land on my stove top which was fine; i just let it burn itself out. But a few flames, about to match sticks worth find their way to my counter and some paper towels soaked with olive oil. That's not good so I try to stamp and crush them out much as I would a matchstick but, of course the nylon has melted in pure fuel and the whole thing is burning hotter than I expected. I got it out but not before getting burning plastic across a few fingers. Very small area of burn but a bit intense. I have a very small blister but other wise unscathed. It was just an irritating end to a thouroughly irritating procedure.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:23 PM   #9
liquiditynerd
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozy
It's not a humorous story. It's just irritating. I had 4 oz. of 2-row left over for quite a while so I thought I'd practice mashing on a micro-level in a sauce pan and *nothing* went right. The mashing temperature ranged from 132- 185, the bag kept singing on the burner, my thermometer was slow to respond so that by the time I noticed it was creeping upward and I'd cut the heat it'd countinue to climb. Then and the very end as I'm mashing out the entire bag catches on fire I don't really have any means to put it out. Most land on my stove top which was fine; i just let it burn itself out. But a few flames, about to match sticks worth find their way to my counter and some paper towels soaked with olive oil. That's not good so I try to stamp and crush them out much as I would a matchstick but, of course the nylon has melted in pure fuel and the whole thing is burning hotter than I expected. I got it out but not before getting burning plastic across a few fingers. Very small area of burn but a bit intense. I have a very small blister but other wise unscathed. It was just an irritating end to a thouroughly irritating procedure.
Ahhh. Hind sight. Mine was pouring boiling water into a barrel bung hole with a funnel. The displacement of expanding air when put into rapid contact with boiling water through a small opening results if blistered forearms and a rather wet outside of the barrel. I got gangsta brewer scars. Yo

....just add water.....

Old 05-07-2013, 12:00 AM   #10
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I burnt 2 hop socks to the bottom of my kettle. About as far as I got to really burn anything. They burnt. But, no real danger, just panick.

Quick Reply