Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Are you a Beer snob or connaisseur???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2008, 04:51 PM   #1
cowstick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Are you a Beer snob or connaisseur???

My friends hate drinking with me because I can not stomach BMC or beer of the like. I have my favorites usually dark stouts theres one beer in particular that I seek out everywhere we go(Surly Bender). Ill drink Fat Tire, Newcastle, New Belgian 1554, Summit Oatmeal Stout. But my first choice is Surly Bender(they make a awesome Russian Imperial Stout called Darkness which is AMAZING).

Anyway what Im trying to say is So I like to drink good flavorful well crafted beers. Yes im disappointed when I cant get Surly but I have it on tap at home so it doesnt matter anymore.
I dont believe Im a beer snob Im just particular about the beer that I drink. So I think I am a conissure of beer. Oh yea did I mention I love Surly beers. LOL

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2008, 04:55 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Is there a difference?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-27-2008, 05:01 PM   #3
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don't think I am a beer snob. I aspire to have all 26 BJCP styles in commercial brews on hand some day, and I like pretty much all of them so I will probably brew most of them at some point, too. On a hot day I'll chug down a can or two of Coors Light before moving onto homebrew; on a rainy day I am just as inclined to enjoy a good bottle of Old Foghorn barleywine. Every beer has its place for my palate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 08-27-2008, 05:01 PM   #4
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I don't mind being called a beer snob, it's a title that I can live with. My SWMBO has mentioned on more than one occassion that my sniffing and swirling of beer is a little odd. I think beer snob and beer connisuer are interchangeable. Your BMC swilling pals should be supportive, it means more BMC for them.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:02 PM   #5
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 11

IMHO a beer snob is someone who has the knowledge and uses that knowledge to make less knowledgeable beer drinking feel dumb or incompetent. Just because you appreciate good beer and know almost every beer on the market and stat current with the beer climate of your area and the world does not make you a beer snob.

Now, if you berate your friends for liking BMC, I would want to drink with you either. However, if you attempt to expand their horizons and suggest better beers that they may like, you are just a good friend who is passionate about beer. There is a BIG difference.

I consider myself a beer connoisseur, but not a beer snob. Part of being a beer connoisseur is realizing that there is always something to learn and you don't know everything. It is also important to remember that you probably liked BMC at one time and that you can help someone see the better side of beer, but just because they like it, doesn't make them idiots.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:09 PM   #6
Beerthoven

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I do not consider myself "an expert judge" of beer, so I'm no connoisseur. I think being a real connoisseur is not something that happens casually; you have to work to build those skills over a period of time. I do know what I like and I'm much better now at describing why than I used to be, so that's progress, I guess.

Primary/Secondary: --
Kegged: #114 Oatmeal Stout, #115 American Amber
Planned: APA, IPA, Nut Brown

Old 08-27-2008, 05:10 PM   #7
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
I consider myself a beer connoisseur, but not a beer snob. Part of being a beer connoisseur is realizing that there is always something to learn and you don't know everything. It is also important to remember that you probably liked BMC at one time and that you can help someone see the better side of beer, but just because they like it, doesn't make them idiots.
Well said. I'm hesitant to label myself as a connoisseur- because I frankly don't yet have the experience and knowledge to really be able to speak intelligently about various beer styles. You can certainly be particular about the styles of beer that you prefer, but everyone's palate is different. I've never been really fond of any lager that has come across my taste buds (though my rugby team is sponsored by Steinlager- so I drink those for free at matches ), but certainly don't berate those who enjoy them.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:16 PM   #8
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i still like and drink cheap swill. i'm a pleb at heart...

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:19 PM   #9
DrinksWellWithOthers
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Call me a beer dork, beer geek, even a connaisseur if you want, but don't call me a beer snob. I don't like the way it sounds. I've been called a beer snob a few times and it definitely wasn't a compliment.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:20 PM   #10
knownikko
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't have much of a problem with imbibing a "fine american pilsner" here or there if that's the only thing around. I'll always dig to the bottom of the cooler to make sure something else isn't available first, but absent of choice I'll do what has to be done.

Quick Reply