Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Yikes! Fermentation bucket not sealed for two days.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2010, 03:01 AM   #1
alaskanmoosehunter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yikes! Fermentation bucket not sealed for two days.

Two days ago I took a hydro reading on my ale. Things are coming alone nicely and I put the lid on and the airlock back in place. It takes a while for pressure to make the airlock bubble which is normal so I placed the bucket back in the garage. Over the course of the next two days I noticed it stopped bubbling, so today I figured I would take another reading and place the ale in a secondary. I noticed that the lid was not seated all the way. I re-seated the bucket and about ever three minutes I get bubble action. I then opened the lid...No infection. So into the secondary it goes!

Will there be any issues I should be aware of since the ale was not sealed for two days?

Thanks,
Ben

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2010, 03:16 AM   #2
AluminumGerbil
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm no expert, but your fermentation is probably putting enough gas off nothing could get in. I've even heard of people not using an airlock and just having a loose lid, I don't think it's recommended, but I'm sure you're fine.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:17 AM   #3
dotnetdotcom
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Will there be any issues I should be aware of since the ale was not sealed for two days?
Most likely not.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:29 AM   #4
paraordnance
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I ferment my first batch in 10 gal bucket with loose lid and no signs of contamination after 2 weeks. I did transfered it to secondary on day 6 though

Old 10-06-2010, 03:31 AM   #5
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2754 Times on 2705 Posts
Likes Given: 113

doesn't need sealed Bacteria are not ninjas. If they can't fall in, you're good.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 10-06-2010, 05:08 AM   #6
alaskanmoosehunter
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
doesn't need sealed Bacteria are not ninjas. If they can't fall in, you're good.
That's funny. Thanks for the good news.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:37 PM   #7
stageseven
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanmoosehunter View Post
I then opened the lid...No infection.
This was your only real mistake here. Opening the fermenter just to check for infections actually increases your risk for infection and disturbs the co2 blanket over the beer.

Also you don't need to take gravity readings to see how things are coming along. It may seem like nice information, but knowing whether your fermentation is almost at terminal gravity or only halfway there is really pretty meaningless. If your airlock is still going regularly, chances are it's still fermenting. When visible signs of fermentation have subsided and you're ready to bottle or transfer, that's the time to take a gravity reading. Check it again in 3 days to verify that it's stable if you're not sure and want to bottle right away.

Patience can be hard, but step back and let the yeast do their thing.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:50 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

If things are bubbling, why are you even thinking about racking it to secondary??????

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-06-2010, 01:10 PM   #9
Indyking
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
If things are bubbling, why are you even thinking about racking it to secondary??????
Revvy, what's your point, I guess I'm confused. Isn't the main reason of the secondary to clear the beer up as opposed to boost fermentation?

Old 10-06-2010, 01:21 PM   #10
Shackled
Recipes 

You want to wait until fermentation is done before you move it to a secondary. Many people here, myself included, generally don't use a secondary anymore. Just the amount of time you would secondary to your primary time. That will still allow the beer to clear in the primary.

"Do you ever feel like your life is being controlled by a 3 year old with an etchasketch?"

-Brian-

Quick Reply