Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > yet another yeast question ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2008, 04:48 AM   #1
WheaYaAt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default yet another yeast question ?

just curious, have you ladies and gents ever notice when you rehydrate your yeast.......... the yeasty taste seems to be less noticeable ? or am i trippin' ? im about to make a honey nut brown, and i am wondering if it's worth re hydrating it? also being that it's a 2.5 gallon batch, should i use the whole pack? i use Safale S04 thanks -Lee

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2008, 09:43 AM   #2
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I vote trippin

Old 10-22-2008, 02:22 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Use the whole pack and re-hydrate. Opened yeast will draw water out of the air & die trying to hydrate.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-22-2008, 02:29 PM   #4
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I rehydrate about 99.876% OF the time. I also must say that I use dry yeast about 95.473% of the time. I'm just such a fan of the simplicity and reliability of dry yeast...not to mention the time and cost involved in using liquid...but this isn't a debate about liquid vs dry.....

My guess is that you're getting a more viable and ready to work yeast when you hydrate...and thus the yeast finishes faster, and does a cleaner job than a dry pitch...thus leaving you with less yeast flavor sooner.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:00 PM   #5
WheaYaAt
Recipes 

thank you all very much! i will rehydrate and use the whole packet. thank you for the wisdom.

Quick Reply