New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Yet another starter question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2005, 12:47 AM   #1
swh127
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yet another starter question

My brewing and kegging equipment is in the mail and I have been doing a lot of research and had a quick starter question. I have ordered the following two kits:

https://www.morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=18350
and
https://www.morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=18328

I plan on doing primary fermentation in a plastic bucket with a spout and secondary in a 6.5 gallon carboy.

I have read that most of you use starters, however most do not mention what you use to store the starters, or how you use kits with starters. If I missed those threads I am sorry, please link them.

I am kegging my beer, but I would like to drink it as soon as possible. I guess my two questions are
1) how do you make a starter with a kit?
2) what can I use that most people have around the house to store the starter till the next day? (cleaned and sanitized of course)

Thanks in Advance
Scott
--------------------------
On tap: Yuengling Black & Tan (for now )

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2005, 01:43 AM   #2
Sasquatch

Recipes 

Honestly, for a first ever brew, I wouldn't bother with a starter (I'm sure others will dissent). You can pitch most yeasts onto the wort as long as it's not hot. Or you can simply "wake up" the yeast in some pre-boiled water, cooled to about 30 C. Worry about making your equipment sanitary more than about how incredible your yeast needs to be.

Primary: Lager

Secondary: Sangiovese, Honey Nut Brown, some Pilsner/ale kinda thing that just won't quit...

Bottled:
Tar Sands Porter, Special Dark Bitter,Oaky Red ale, Hammer & Tongs Black Ale, Black Draught, Cooper's Bitter, Baron's Pilsner
Super Saazy Saaz Pilsner Saaz (It's a little green, yet)

Old 08-04-2005, 02:53 AM   #3
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Boil 1 cup water and 1 cup malt for 5 mins.

Sterilize 1 beer bottle. Add the malt and an airlock.

Let cool to 70 some F. Add yeast and swirl to mix.

Let sit overnight. Should be ready to pitch by the time your wort is cooled into the 70s.

Quick Reply