Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Yet another fermentation question...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2008, 03:01 PM   #1
ph0ngwh0ng
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default Yet another fermentation question...

Hi there!

I have a question. This is taken from www.howtobrew.com.

"Furthermore, primary fermentation is an exothermic process. The internal temperature of the fermentor can be as much as 10F above ambient conditions, just due to yeast activity."

In my setup, I check temperature with a thermometer I put in a glass of water on top of the fermentor. Does this mean I have to compensate for yeast activity by maintaining a lower external temperature so that the internal temperature gets in the range needed?

Also, I used Wyeast American Ale (1056) which has a temp range of 60-72F. The fact is I didn't check this and used the temp range from my last brew, which I fermented at 74F. I noticed fermentation started furiously in the first 24 hrs but now after 48 hours, almost no sign of activity (a few bubbles each minute). Also, the krausen has turned from beige with patches of brown to almost all brown. Should I lower the temp and if so, to which value?

Help me!!

alex b

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1ngl1ves View Post
I smoke, sit in traffic with my windows down, and eat bacon by the pound. Sometimes all at once. Food grade has become a myth to me...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2008, 03:08 PM   #2
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I use a tape thermometer stuck to the side and add afew degrees depending on how vigorous fermentation is.

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Old 05-20-2008, 03:16 PM   #3
GloHoppa
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have a stick on thermometer on my fermenter with another thermometer taped to the inside wall of my brew closet. this gives me an idea of the temp of the fermenting beer as well as ambient temp to make sure im not stressing the yeasties

Primary: (empty)
Carboy: Apfelwein, aged 11 mo
Mr. Beer: (empty)
Bottled/Conditioning: (empty)

Planning: Belgian Pale Ale, Hop Harvest Ale

Old 05-20-2008, 03:50 PM   #4
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I ferment in my basement with an ambient temp of 64-66 year round. I have stick on thermometers on all of my glass carboys and it's pretty rare for one of them to creep above 70 during fermentation.

If you're fermenting in a room that's 72F you may want to think about putting your fermenter in a tub of water and cycle out frozen water bottles to keep the temp down. 1056 is pretty neutral, but it's hard to tell if a fermentation at 80F or higher would produce any off flavors until you get to taste it.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:01 PM   #5
ph0ngwh0ng
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 33

thanks a lot for the replies. in fact, i brew in my basement and the temp is raised via heating. i turned off heating so the yeast gets a more healthy environment. gonna buy me a stick on thermometer for my next batch for sure!

alex b

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1ngl1ves View Post
I smoke, sit in traffic with my windows down, and eat bacon by the pound. Sometimes all at once. Food grade has become a myth to me...

Quick Reply