Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Yeasts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2010, 10:30 AM   #1
Halv2MX
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Yeasts

What is the "real" difference between wild yeasts and lab cultured yeasts? Do wild yeasts really make a difference in the flavor of your beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 866 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 1921

If you are asking scientifically, I don't know. But, practically, they make a huge difference, not at all alike. Have you ever had a lambic or a sour beer? Those are what wild yeasts taste like.

I'm curious about what led to your question.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:59 AM   #3
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It depends on the genus of yeast, if the wild yeast you're speaking of are brett, pedio, lacto or other souring yeasts, yes it definately makes a difference, if your talking about wild saccharomyces strains, not so much.

All yeast, somewhere in their ancestry started out as "wild" of course, some yeast have had years of manipulation and mutation, etc. The dominant strain(s) of the wild yeast I captured from juniper berries is/are definately saccharomyces. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/can...erries-169156/

Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:35 PM   #4
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Yeast plays a huge role in the flavor of the beer, go to white labs site and check out all the different varieties. Be careful with wild yeast, you may end up catching something that you don't want in your beer.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 10-01-2010, 12:38 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

And what do you mean by "real" difference anyway? What's the "unreal" difference you are thinking of?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-08-2010, 06:02 AM   #6
Halv2MX
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you for the replies, I'm trying to expand my homebrewing knowledge into culturing yeasts and find ways to capture wild yeasts for a little experimentation; as for the difference in flavors from yeast I guess I was looking for "night and day" and so far that's what I'm being told. I've only used liquid yeasts from White Labs and Williams Brewing. I have had Lambics before but never really cared too much for them. Being deployed in Afghanistan makes it hard to get to a steady source of internet connection as well information, I'm just trying learn the basics and when I get home I can implement what I learn.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:12 AM   #7
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 866 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 1921

Found this thread that might be interesting or helpful to you http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/how...-yeast-101886/

Stay safe, Halv.

Quick Reply