Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Yeast washing results

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
LovesIPA
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Default Yeast washing results

I kegged an IPA on 2/10/13 and I washed the yeast. I ended up with 6 pint-sized mason jars of washed yeast in the fridge. I had been making starters out of them and it was working fine. Yesterday, I had a wild hair and decided to brew at the last minute. As I was mashing the grain, it suddenly occurred to me that I hadn't made a starter. All I had was one last remaining pint jar of yeast in the back of the fridge that was almost a month old.

Well it was obviously too late to back out of brewing so I took the yeast out and set it on the counter to get to room temp. Worst case, it wouldn't take off and I would have to re-pitch.

After I brewed and racked the wort into the primary, I shook the jar up really good and poured the whole thing in, trub and all. I figured that I would need all the active yeast out of the jar that I could get.

That was yesterday at around 3:00. There was still no airlock activity by the time I went to bed but that didn't bother me much. I got up this morning and it was bubbling away.

So no more yeast starters! All I need to ferment a 5 gallon batch is a pint-sized jar of washed yeast which is good for at least a month after it's been washed.

Immature: A word boring people use to describe fun people

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
PseudoChef
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Just because it's fermenting doesn't mean you pitched the appropriate amount of healthy yeast to ensure the optimal fermentation.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #3
LovesIPA
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef View Post
Just because it's fermenting doesn't mean you pitched the appropriate amount of healthy yeast to ensure the optimal fermentation.
Valid. I will keep the thread updated with results.

OG at pitching was 1.062. I'll take another reading in a week or so.

Immature: A word boring people use to describe fun people

Quick Reply