Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Yeast Washing Attempt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 11:01 PM   #21
tre9er
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

how much are you splitting up the cake? I think 4 jars from a 5g batch cake is great. You can direct pitch each into a 5g batch if it's just a few weeks old, just let it warm to room temp.

I typically just keep the whole cake in a quart-sized mason jar. Then I split it over my 9g. batch into two fermenters. I'll make a starter if it's been in there for a few months, but at times I haven't and still had good fermentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 09:55 PM   #22
Justintoxicated
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'm only grabbing 3 jars worth due to space constraints.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:26 AM   #23
Justintoxicated
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I seem to be getting mixed information in this thread.

Attempt1 (2 jars have both light and darker yeast as can be seen in the picture, one has only the white part and a lot more white than the other 2).
Is this because it is a yeast blend or because only the white stuff on top is good?

Attemp2, I didn't get the same 2 layers of seperation. Most of the yeast is a cream color, although there is much more yeast total, there is only a very fine layer of white yest on the top.

Attemp3, the yeast seems pretty mixed up. Mostly cream color with splotches of white.

I'm going to make a 1.063 og beer this weekend so I am making a starter right now with yeast from attempt2.
Mr Malty is telling me I need about 2 liters since the yeast is over a month old. however I will more than likely only end up with a 1.5L starter.
I'm afraid to pitch directly due to differences in information (or my misunderstanding of it) in this thread.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #24
tre9er
Recipes 

1. How old is the harvested yeast?
  2. How many ml of mostly-solid colored yeast is there in container?
  3. Use those factors on Mr. Malty to make recommended starter

Quote:
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 10-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #25
tre9er
Recipes 

If I use your gravity for a 5.25g batch, assume you harvested this 9/14/12, MrMalty says you need 173ML of yeast. I don't know what size those jars are, but I'd say you have that much in the more compacted one on the right. Just make a 1L starter from that and you'll be fine.

Actually, the one on the right looks damn good. That thing will probably rock. I'd make the 1L starter and RDWHAHB

Quote:

Old 10-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #26
Justintoxicated
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
If I use your gravity for a 5.25g batch, assume you harvested this 9/14/12, MrMalty says you need 173ML of yeast. I don't know what size those jars are, but I'd say you have that much in the more compacted one on the right. Just make a 1L starter from that and you'll be fine.

Actually, the one on the right looks damn good. That thing will probably rock. I'd make the 1L starter and RDWHAHB
Starter ended up closer to 1.8L after I added the yeast (about 300/400ml apparently)

The starter almost needed a blow off tube! Luckily my stirplate threw the stirbar so it didn't try to overflow until I turned it back on in the morning. I re-built my stirplate need some minor adjustments.

Quick Reply