Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Beginners Beer Brewing Forum (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/)
-   -   Yeast Washing Attempt (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/yeast-washing-attempt-350993/)

Justintoxicated 08-30-2012 08:20 AM

Yeast Washing Attempt
 
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8304/7...4d14471a_z.jpg
first attempt yeast washing by Glamisduner, on Flickr

I got 3 of these jars, 2 looked like this and one has two or three times the yeast an no almost no trub.

So the question is, can I use this for the next batch? Or does the yeast to trub ratio kill it?

Second question. After transferring to the secondary for dry hopping (waited 2 weeks) I have about another inch of trub and yeast on the bottom. Mostly yeast, but is it had to try to get yeast from the secondary?

I don't know how you all do only a primary, seems like it would be hard to remove all the trub and yeast that falls off without a secondary (this is only my second batch though).

Planning to cold crash then keg this weekend (been 3 weeks and another week of carbonation before its ready).

I had a super aggressive fermentation that went very quickly with this black imperial IPA and WLP085. (Austin brew exclusive)

DrawTap88 08-30-2012 03:16 PM

You'll want to make a starter. Are you saving the yeast from the primary or secondary?

NordeastBrewer77 08-30-2012 03:39 PM

Don't save the yeast from secondary. I'm not sure what you're actually asking, but that yeast is fine to use, make a starter with it as you would from a smack pack or vial of yeast. And FWIW, beer will fall clear just fine in primary if given enough time, usually after two weeks I can package a clear beer without 'secondary'.

Justintoxicated 08-30-2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NordeastBrewer77 (Post 4373803)
Don't save the yeast from secondary. I'm not sure what you're actually asking, but that yeast is fine to use, make a starter with it as you would from a smack pack or vial of yeast. And FWIW, beer will fall clear just fine in primary if given enough time, usually after two weeks I can package a clear beer without 'secondary'.

yea I left mine in the primary for 2 weeks then transferred tot he secondary and now I have a little tub but almost another inch of yeast....'

I did plan to make a starter with the washed yeast collected, I would dump the whole thing in trub and all right?

NordeastBrewer77 08-30-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justintoxicated (Post 4374325)
yea I left mine in the primary for 2 weeks then transferred tot he secondary and now I have a little tub but almost another inch of yeast....'

I did plan to make a starter with the washed yeast collected, I would dump the whole thing in trub and all right?

You can decant the liquid and pitch just the slurry into the starter.

As you do it more, you'll get better at racking over clear beer. I also find that it depends on the yeast, some yeast compact quickly, others may take a few weeks. Don't get me wrong, secondary, or a 'bright tank', definitely helps with clarifying, especially in the sense that it can speed up the process. Check when you rack from secondary for bottling, I wouldn't be at all surprised if that 'inch' of yeast isn't more than a thin dusting on the bottom of the carboy that goes ~1" up the sides. Yeast will definitely fall in secondary, but after a 2 week primary there's doubtfully that much yeast left in suspension unless you swirled back up when you transferred.

Justintoxicated 08-30-2012 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NordeastBrewer77 (Post 4374586)
You can decant the liquid and pitch just the slurry into the starter.

As you do it more, you'll get better at racking over clear beer. I also find that it depends on the yeast, some yeast compact quickly, others may take a few weeks. Don't get me wrong, secondary, or a 'bright tank', definitely helps with clarifying, especially in the sense that it can speed up the process. Check when you rack from secondary for bottling, I wouldn't be at all surprised if that 'inch' of yeast isn't more than a thin dusting on the bottom of the carboy that goes ~1" up the sides. Yeast will definitely fall in secondary, but after a 2 week primary there's doubtfully that much yeast left in suspension unless you swirled back up when you transferred.

I think I may cold crash it before I keg it this weekend.

BrewinHooligan 08-30-2012 10:02 PM

Also, you will want to fill your mason jars close to the top. The less headspace in the jar you store washed yeast the better.

DrawTap88 08-31-2012 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OClairBrew (Post 4374934)
Also, you will want to fill your mason jars close to the top. The less headspace in the jar you store washed yeast the better.

Can not agree more. Make sure you get it into the fridge quick or it could wind up breaking the jar you have it stored in.

Justintoxicated 08-31-2012 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrawTap88 (Post 4375595)
Can not agree more. Make sure you get it into the fridge quick or it could wind up breaking the jar you have it stored in.

should I boil some more water and top them off then? They have been in the fridge since sat.

DrawTap88 08-31-2012 03:49 AM

No. If the head space is already there, opening it again before making a starter will only risk more infection.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:08 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.