Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Which yeast to use

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 03:07 AM   #1
NickN100
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Which yeast to use

Mixed up yeast and wort boiling. Which one to use for simple lovebite weizenbier?
Nottingham Ale Yeast
Or
Safale us 05 dry ale yeast.
One is for an IPA BREWING later. Much thanks !!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 03:55 AM   #2
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Those two are more similar than different, both good in an IPA but neither one is close to a German hefeweizen yeast. I guess if I had to choose I'd go with Notty for the weizen but they're both going to give you more of an American style wheat. If you want the German wheat yeast characteristics you're going to have to get new yeast.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:07 AM   #3
BleacherBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickypad
Those two are more similar than different, both good in an IPA but neither one is close to a German hefeweizen yeast. I guess if I had to choose I'd go with Notty for the weizen but they're both going to give you more of an American style wheat. If you want the German wheat yeast characteristics you're going to have to get new yeast.
If you want to stick with dry yeast, WB-06 works well with a hefe.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:08 AM   #4
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickypad View Post
Pretty much spot on. Both Notty and 05 are low ester producing yeasts which is exactly the opposite of what makes a weizen. However I have heard you can get some fruity esters out of Notty if you can maintain a high fermentation temperature (~80f)...

Btw OP you didn't boil the yeast in your wort did you? That first sentence has me confused...

Old 02-12-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 376 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Neither! As stated earlier, the yeast plays a big role in producing the final flavor of a weiss, and neither one of those yeasts will give you that weiss character.

If you want to stick with dry yeast, get Safale WB-06. 3068 is a great liquid yeast for weiss. Both stay in suspension (low floccuation) and produce esters that define the weiss style.

When you get to your IPA, you can use either the Notty or the S-05. Notty is slightly more neutral than S-05, S-05 produces some slight floral esters that compliment IPAs with florally hops.

Good luck!

Primary #1 - Oktoberfest
Primary #2 - EMPTY!
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Cherry Wood Smoked Cider
Keg #2 - Fall of the Ukraine Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - EMPTY!
Bottled - NONE!

Quick Reply