Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Yeast temperatures

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
Yourrealdad
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Default Yeast temperatures

So I am just curious on the temps that yeast go through. It seems that they are such temp sensitive little guys (and gals), but we mess with them pretty bad. For instance:

-My yeast (dry) is stored at 40 F in the fridge
-To rehydrate I put it in water usually between 85-100 F
-I then pitch it into wort around 70 F
-Usually I have to drop the temp a little more to say 63-67

Maybe I am doing something wrong or missed a step, but doesn't that seem to be messing with the temps quite a bit? Especially when all I hear is that when fermenting if your temps drop a few degrees the yeast starts to drop out?

Thanks for clarifying

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2266 Times on 1974 Posts
Likes Given: 1699

The rehydrated yeast should be brought down to within 10 degrees of the wort temp when pitching. This keeps the yeast from being shocked & going dormant till they aclimate to the themps around them. But may have to be swirled back into suspension. Otherwise,your temps are right in there.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply