Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Yeast Temperature Range

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2008, 01:57 PM   #1
Brett3rThanU
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Yeast Temperature Range

I just started a batch of strong ale using Danstar Nottingham dry yeast which has a fermentation range for 57F - 70F. For the first few hours or so the fermentation temp was hovering around 70F, so I used the swamp cooler method to get it down to 62F. My question is, when there is such a large gap for the yeast's temperature range, what effects will it have if I ferment at 62F instead of 68F? Will the latter just produce more of a fruity flavor?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2008, 02:12 PM   #2
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

That is pretty much it. At higher temps you are going to have less flocculation, more fruity esters and possibly more fusel alcohols. At lower temps you will have better flocculation, lower esters, less fusels resulting in a more "crisp" flavor.

I have never actually used Nottingham, but that is pretty standard practice with most yeasts.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:32 PM   #3
sirsloop
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Nottinghams works great in low temps. Actually I've found that its got a pretty clean flavor even if you are fermenting at higher temps (like 75-80). If you are doing a strong ale, you'll want to start it off real cool, watch and wait for it to slow down, then warm it up 70.

~~~~~~~_/_______| |____NOW TRIPLE HOPPED______|~~~~~~~~~~
~~~___/[_]| 00 /| | \,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/ |~~~~~~~~~~
~~|___|___|___/_| |___________________________|~~~~~~~~~~
~~|=(*)[________]==(*)(*)=| \________/=(*)(*)=|~~~~~~~~~~

Old 02-21-2008, 10:59 PM   #4
85 Haro Designs
Recipes 

I used Nottingham in my IPA and I made a starter while I was boiling my wort per the instructions on the back of the yeast package.

I first hydrated it, then fed it about 1/2 a shot glass of wort (cooled to 100°F) about every 5 to 7 minutes. I did this all in an open glass sitting on the counter.

Well, I pitched the starter into the wort and within a few hours the primary was CHUGGING along at 72 to 75. I started to get concerned and moved it so it was more in the range of 67 -68 and it STILL was chugging.

Now, on day 2 (about 40 hours in primary) it's noticeably less at 68° but still chugging.

I was expecting it to continue fermentation a lot longer but I'm sure it's still going, just a lot less activity now. I'm going to give it at least a week or two in primary.

Primary - American IPA (brewed 01/13/10)
Primary#2 - Empty
Secondary - Empty
Bottled - Irish Stout, Wooly Booger
On Deck - Weizenbeer

Old 02-22-2008, 12:11 AM   #5
solidghost
Recipes 

My nottingham yeast is very active during the first 2 days, after which it seems to slow down a lot. I read Nottingham yeast's brochure and they claim that it can finish fermenting in just 4 days.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:28 PM   #6
Brett3rThanU
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've got my fermentation temp now fluctuating between 63-66F depending on when I add ice to my swamp cooler. This thing started bubbling like crazy after only 12 hours, but now it's day 3 and it has slowed down a little, but it's still doing 5-6 bubbles every 5 seconds or so.

Quick Reply