Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Yeast starter and yeast cake question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2009, 08:32 PM   #11
hardrain
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrosBrew View Post
Can I make a yeast starter in my 6.5 gal carboy, then pour my wort and water right on top of it when I brew? Does the yeast have to be poured on the top of the wort to get a top fermentation like the ale yeast is?
I'm sure you'll get someone who says this is okay, but I wouldn't recommend it. For starters, it means you won't be able to drain off the starter wort you used therefore it's going to be part of your beer. Any old juic bottle will work just fine, put a sanitized piece of plastic wrap on the top with a lose rubber band around it and you're good to go. Plus, if you can always put that in the fridge if you need to wait a day or two after the starter is done...something that would probably be tough with your carboy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply