Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Yeast Starter with Wort

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2009, 12:42 PM   #1
Berock
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Yeast Starter with Wort

I used second runnings of Wort as my starter. Before I boiled I checked the gravity and it was 1.020. So I added corn sugar until it got to 1.040. Is this ok? Will the yeast act the same from corn sugar as sugar from wort?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2009, 01:53 PM   #2
mkling
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

In general, it would be better to keep your starter at 1.020 than to boost it up to 1.040 with corn sugar. This is because the yeast have an easier time metabolizing the corn sugar and will consume it preferentially to the malt sugars. This is supposed to make the yeast because lazy so that they stop working hard enough to consume the malt sugars. I can't tell you the chemical or biological reason for this, but enough brewing experts that I trust have said this that I believe it. So by adding the corn sugar, you've created lazy yeast which defeats the purpose of your starter.

Recently Kicked Kegs: Fresh Hop Pale Ale, Citra Rye IPA
On Deck: Old Rasputin, Northstar IPA, Ur-bock Dunkel

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply