Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > yeast starter time?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2009, 07:23 PM   #1
HillbillyDeluxe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default yeast starter time?

How long does a yeast starter usually take to be ready?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2009, 07:32 PM   #2
hopsalot
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 55

within a day or two, when it is bubbling away I pitch it

Old 01-17-2009, 07:38 PM   #3
HillbillyDeluxe
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Can the Wort wait that long? I made the starter a just now and the wort will be coming off in about 3 hours. Its the first time i've had to make a starter, the smack pack busted and i lost alot of the nutrient. The pack is still swelling though. What do you think?

Old 01-17-2009, 08:17 PM   #4
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

The whole point of making a starter is to increase the cell count. I've read that it usually maxes out in 12-18 hours. Very good aeration and a lot of agitiation will get you the highest counts the quickest so give that baby a shake every half hour and keep it nice and warm.

If your sanitization was good and you stir/shake your starter often, you might get away with pitching it late tonight - it really depends on how much yeast you lost in the explosion.

I did an 18 hour starter a few days ago, pitched the whole thing into a 1.072 wort and it was bubbling within 8 hours.

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber

Old 01-17-2009, 09:04 PM   #5
Donner
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

hmm, i'm having a hard time not worrying about my starter. Two reasons. First, this is the first time i've used my 2l flask, so the amount of starter i made (1 pint h20 and half a cup of DME) seems really small in the flask and doesn't appear to be growing. The second issue i am worried about is that the kolsch yeast (which was 'best used by nov. 2008) didn't seem to smell too yeasty and still doesn't seem to smell right in my starter.

I'm wondering if it's too cold in the laundry room for the starter to start. It's been in the mid 60s since i made it yesterday, and is wrapped in a blanket, but it just doesn't seem to be working like the starters i've made in the past.

Anyone offer any suggestions?

Old 01-18-2009, 12:20 AM   #6
Moonshae
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donner View Post
hmm, i'm having a hard time not worrying about my starter. Two reasons. First, this is the first time i've used my 2l flask, so the amount of starter i made (1 pint h20 and half a cup of DME) seems really small in the flask and doesn't appear to be growing. The second issue i am worried about is that the kolsch yeast (which was 'best used by nov. 2008) didn't seem to smell too yeasty and still doesn't seem to smell right in my starter.

I'm wondering if it's too cold in the laundry room for the starter to start. It's been in the mid 60s since i made it yesterday, and is wrapped in a blanket, but it just doesn't seem to be working like the starters i've made in the past.

Anyone offer any suggestions?
I usually keep my starters at room temperature. Just like beer, if it's too cool, they yeast are going to start off slow. With such a small volume, they're not going to be able to generate much heat on their own to change that.

"You never can tell with bees." --Winnie the Pooh

Old 01-18-2009, 01:12 AM   #7
Donner
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

thanks, mid to low 60s is room temp right now. I'll see if i can find a place to put it that will be warmer

Quick Reply