Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Yeast starter Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 03:27 AM   #1
Dan2539
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeast starter Questions

Hey all,
I had a question regarding yeast starters. Using this yeast pitching chart from Jamil, this shows that stepping up a starter in a 2 liter flask won't double the cell count from 200B to 400B but only yields 300B.

image-3953433299.jpg

Why would I decant a starter and then step it up in another 2L starter? Would I get the 400B count from two separate starters each decanted into a mason jar and then thrown to my Lager? I'm guessing something like this would actually need 3 starters (splitting the initial starter into two new ones) if I only had one smack pack. I'm asking because I'm looking into lagers but I only have a 2L flask.

A word of warning though, unlike Star-San or Idophor, Dijon Mustard is NOT a no-rinse sanitizer. I learned this the hard way, though I have to say the resulting Mustard Porter was pretty snappy. The hops juxtaposed against the horseradish was very nice, though possibly a touch out of the style guidelines.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 03:50 AM   #2
Dan2539
Recipes 

Furthermore, if I had two yeast packets, why would I throw it into a starter to only get 300B cells instead of just making two separate starters with each pack, decant and store in a container, and then pitch for 400B cells? Just convenience if I don't need the full 400B?

A word of warning though, unlike Star-San or Idophor, Dijon Mustard is NOT a no-rinse sanitizer. I learned this the hard way, though I have to say the resulting Mustard Porter was pretty snappy. The hops juxtaposed against the horseradish was very nice, though possibly a touch out of the style guidelines.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:57 AM   #3
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Go over to yeastcalc.com and enter the info.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-12-2012, 03:58 AM   #4
cosmatics
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 47

In my experience I've used one smack pack in 2L flask, and did stir plate starter, crash, decant, starter, crash, decant, & pitch to get recommended yeast size. You could use 2 packs but what fun is that. Lol.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:01 AM   #5
Dan2539
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmatics
In my experience I've used one smack pack in 2L flask, and did stir plate starter, crash, decant, starter, crash, decant, & pitch to get recommended yeast size. You could use 2 packs but what fun is that. Lol.
I'm with you there, was just curious if I got more yeast production out of the results of two fresh starters whose yeast was then stored in mason jars and both pitched on brew day instead of stepping up. My guess is you do, but you actually need three starters, one of them to split between the two fresh starters if you're only using one yeast pack.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:31 AM   #6
Dan2539
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie
Go over to yeastcalc.com and enter the info.
I checked it out, looks really helpful but seems way more generous with the yeast yields than what the chart I posted from Jamil says. Can anyone explain this? I'm getting some of my knowledge about stepping up starters from this video:
http://billybrew.com/stepping-up-a-yeast-starter

That is where I first saw mention of this chart.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:11 AM   #7
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 208

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmatics View Post
2nd,,, and that called stepping, each time he feeds the yeat'eys then crashes the numbers climb. I like washing my east that gives great numbers too.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:48 AM   #8
Pratzie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Im just guessing here and if someone knows the answer please share it... But say u have one good and healthy smack pack and one not so healthy, and pitch both of them, won't the cells in the unhealthy pack take longer to reproduce and get their numbers up? Meaning if you use one pack, run that thru one starter cycle, chill decant and pitch to another 2L, won't that first cycle guarantee decent yeast cell numbers and guarantee that the second cycle would bring the cell count to the correct and expected count?

Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Quick Reply