Yeast Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EzMak24

Reaction score
I did a yeast starter today and everything was going good until the very end. I forgot to sanitize the stir bar before I dropped it in! I did rinse any dust off it so it should have been fairly clean. Will this mistake rune my starter and my beer? Should I start over?

I did a yeast starter today and everything was going good until the very end. I forgot to sanitize the stir bar before I dropped it in! I did rinse any dust off it so it should have been fairly clean. Will this mistake rune my starter and my beer? Should I start over?

Possibly.

I wouldn't worry one minute about it, but I don't mind pushing things a bit to find out what you can get away with. If the starter looks like it may be infected, you would not pitch it of course.

City water? If will have some chlorine or other chemical to keep it from growing things. That should be enough.

I also would not worry. But, keep an eye on it, if you see anything nasty happening, make a new starter.

Like the others said, you'll just have to monitor it and see what happens over the next few days. Yeah, it'll suck if you have to spend another $7-$10 on a new vial of yeast, plus probably push your brewday back a little, but it's better than pitching an infected yeast and ruining a $30+ batch of beer that you'll probably want to re-brew anyway.

Back