Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Yeast starter question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2010, 05:36 PM   #1
BlueSunshine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Yeast starter question

After doing some searching around, I've seen that alot of posters are very critical of their yeast starters (their OG, size of the starter, stir plates etc). I've brewed three batches so far with liquid yeast starters using 3/4 cup of Amber DME and 2 cups of water inside a liter bottle and have had no issues with fermentation.

My question is, should I be more concerned about how I prepare my starter? Should I pay attention to all the details everyone else is worried about? I originally thought that it was just to multiply the yeast cell count and get the yeast moving before you pitch it, but now it seems that it's more complicated than that.

Bottled: Three Pistols, Spaced Out Saison, Amarillo Armadillo
Conditioning:
Fermenting: GTFO Stout
Gone: Sheffield Pale Ale, Donut Shop Coffee Stout,Hop Rape Imperial IPA, Hooston's Irish Red Beer'd

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2010, 05:42 PM   #2
pompeiisneaks
Why that human mask?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

personally, if it works, keep doing it. in the real science of it, I'm not 100% sure, but I've seen mr malty's pitching rate calculator that shows you the ideal size of a starter w/ liquid yeasts for a given OG, etc. That is the OPTIMAL pitching rate, if not used exactly that way, you have a higher chance of some off flavors or sub optimal fermentation. It will still ferment, and it will still make beer. It basically comes down to "are you seeing problems w/ your beers?" if so you may want to work on that to see if its contributing to the problem's you're seeing.

Fermenting/Kegged/Bottled NONE :( I moved to the NW and haven't had time to setup my brew rig since! (but hey, I'm in the Pacific NW so there's so much awesome beer I don't need to brew it as much hah!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply